- "You're committing an act of war, Archduke. I hope you're prepared for the consequences."
"«We build weapons, Senator! That is our business. Of course we're prepared!»"
- ―Padmé Amidala and Poggle the Lesser
Archduke Poggle the Lesser was the public leader of the Geonosians during the Clone Wars, though he was subservient to Queen Karina the Great. He controlled the Geonosian battle droid factories, and was a powerful figure within the Confederacy of Independent Systems. The Archduke commanded the droid armies that fought against the Republic during the two battles for Geonosis. During the final stages of the war, he and the rest of the Separatist Council were relocated to Utapau and later on Mustafar, where he was cut in half by Darth Vader.
During the Separatist Crisis, Poggle was one of the first and most ardent supporter of it's cause. He then hosted a meeting of fellow Separatist conspirators on Geonosis, in which he pledged his people's army to former Jedi, Count Dooku. Poggle, along with Dooku and bounty hunter Jango Fett, refused to release Jedi Knight Obi-Wan Kenobi to Naboo Senator Padmé Amidala and Kenobi's Padawan Anakin Skywalker unless Naboo joined their cause.
Following their capture, Poggle then presided over the trial, in which he found Amidala and Skywalker guilty of espionage. Amidala warned Poggle that their execution was an act of war and hoped he was prepared for the consequences. Poggle, however, stated that his people build weapons, and that they were prepared.
The Clone WarsEdit
First Battle of GeonosisEdit
Poggle, Dooku, and the rest of their Separatist conspirators then went to the Petranaki arena to watch the executions of Amidala, Kenobi, and Skywalker. However, Jedi Master Mace Windu and a team of 212 Jedi arrived to rescue Kenobi, Skywalker, and Amidala. As the battle droids overwhelmed the Jedi, they were then rescued by clone troopers under Master Yoda. Poggle and the rest of the separatist conspirators then went to the underground war room to oversee the battle. As the Republic Army forced their Droid Army to retreat, Poggle ordered his warriors to hide in the catacombs. He then gave Dooku the plans for their Ultimate Weapon, who assured that they would be safe with his Master, Lord Sidious.
Dealings with ClovisEdit
Poggle, along with Trade Federation Senator Lott Dod, conspired with Scipio Senator Baron Rush Clovis to rebuild the primary droid foundry on Geonosis. When Clovis arrived on Cato Neimoidia at Dod's palace, Poggle and Dod demanded a greater share of the profits the foundry would produce. When Clovis refused to change the terms, Poggle agreed with Dod's plan to poison his companion, Senator Padmé Amidala. However, Clovis helped Amidala's guard get the cure for her. Poggle and Dodd then confronted Clovis about the missing holodiscc.
Second Battle of GeonosisEdit
Poggle then led both the droid army and the native Geonosians against the Republic from the foundry. As the Republic forces approached his foundry, Poggle and his tactical droid, TX-21 oversaw the construction of Super tanks. They then deployed the ten garrisons of droids against the clone troopers under Jedi Generals Anakin Skywalker and Luminara Unduli. He and TX-21 then sent in the super tanks which were able to push the clones back. Poggle was then informed that 2 Jedi had infiltrated the reactor room. Poggle and TX-21 then went with a pair of his soldiers and one his super tanks. There, he ordered his soldier to take the bombs and kill the Jedi.
After the foundry's destruction, Poggle took an AAT with pair of droids and his soldiers with him to the Progate Temple. Along the way, Poggle dropped crates, leaving a trail for Unduli and Buzz to follow. When Unduli and the trooper entered the temple, Poggle and several un-dead Geonosians killed Buzz and captured Unduli. He then took her into the catacombs. He then brought her before his queen, Karina the Great as gift. Together, they hoped they could use the Brain worms to control Unduli. However, Poggle and Karina were then found by Obi-Wan Kenobi and Skywalker. As they blinded the queen, Poggle was captured by Skywalker and Unduli. He was taken aboard the Resolute.
On board the Resolute, Poggle was interrogated by Kenobi, Ki-Adi-Mundi, Unduli, but refused to answer their question. When the worms were aboard his Padawan's supply ship, Skywalker interrogated Poggle alone. At first, Poggle refused but was then punched and force-choked. He then revealed the worms' weakness to the cold. Poggle was then placed in a cell at the Republic military base on Coruscant.
Poggle later escaped Republic captivity and rejoined the Confederacy as the war began to draw to its close. Following a string of Republic victories, General Grievous ordered the members of the Separatist Council, including Poggle, to remain under his protection. Grievous hid them on Utapau while he prepared a strike on Coruscant; following Count Dooku's death and Grievous's failure at Coruscant, Poggle and the other Separatist leaders were sent to a fortified bunker on Mustafar, by order of Darth Sidious.
When Anakin Skywalker, now as Sidious's new apprentice Darth Vader, arrived on Mustafar, the Separatist leaders discovered that he was sent not to reward the council, but to execute them. Poggle attempted to defend himself using his staff, to no avail, and was quickly cut in half.
Behind the scenesEdit
- Star Wars: Galactic Defense
- Star Wars Journeys: Beginnings
- Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones (First appearance)
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Senate Spy"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Landing at Point Rain" (Appears in flashback(s))
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Weapons Factory"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Legacy of Terror"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Brain Invaders"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Jedi Who Knew Too Much" (Appears on viewscreen)
- Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith
- Tarkin (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars in 100 Scenes
- Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know
- Star Wars Character Encyclopedia: Updated and Expanded
- Star Wars: Aliens of the Galaxy (Picture only)
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 1.6
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith
- ↑ Star Wars Journeys: Beginnings
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones(Appears in deleted scene(s))
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Senate Spy"
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Landing at Point Rain"
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Weapons Factory"
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Legacy of Terror"
- ↑ 11.0 11.1 Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Brain Invaders"
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Jedi Who Knew Too Much"