- "How many of you have gazed into the heavens at night and seen something new taking shape above our world? A crescent, a circle, a gleaming ring that is like the portal to another dimension?"
- ―Poggle the Lesser
Archduke Poggle the Lesser was the public leader of the Geonosians during the Clone Wars. Though subservient to Queen Karina the Great, he was nominally in control of the Stalgasin hive, and with his oversight of the Geonosian Baktoid battle droid factories, became a powerful figure within the Confederacy of Independent Systems. The Archduke was a warlord, and commanded the droid armies that fought against the Republic during the first and second battles of Geonosis, the latter of which he was captured and brought into Republic custody. Incarcerated for two years on Coruscant, he was later recruited by the Republic Special Weapons Group to assist in the construction of the Ultimate Weapon battlestation the Geonosians designed; however, later absconded to Confederate space after sabotaging the project. During the final stages of the war, he and the rest of the Separatist Council were relocated to Utapau and later on Mustafar, where he was killed by Darth Vader.
During the Separatist Crisis, Poggle was one of the first and one of the most ardent supporters of its cause. He then hosted a meeting of fellow Separatist conspirators on Geonosis, in which he pledged his people's army to the former Jedi, Count Dooku.
The Clone WarsEdit
First Battle of GeonosisEdit
Poggle, Dooku, and the rest of their Separatist conspirators then went to the Petranaki arena to watch the executions of Padmé Amidala, Obi-Wan Kenobi, and Anakin Skywalker. However, Jedi Master Mace Windu and a team of 212 Jedi arrived to rescue Kenobi, Skywalker, and Amidala. As the battle droids overwhelmed the Jedi, they were then rescued by clone troopers under Master Yoda. Poggle and the rest of the separatist conspirators then went to the underground war room to oversee the battle. As the Republic Army forced their Droid Army to retreat, Poggle ordered his warriors to hide in the catacombs. He then gave Dooku the plans for their Ultimate Weapon, who assured that they would be safe with his Master, Lord Sidious.
Dealings with ClovisEdit
Poggle, along with Trade Federation Senator Lott Dod, conspired with Scipio Senator Baron Rush Clovis to rebuild the primary droid foundry on Geonosis. When Clovis arrived on Cato Neimoidia at Dod's palace, Poggle and Dod demanded a greater share of the profits the foundry would produce. When Clovis refused to change the terms, Poggle agreed with Dod's plan to poison his companion, Senator Padmé Amidala. However, Clovis helped Amidala's guard get the cure for her. Poggle and Dod then confronted Clovis about the missing holodisc.
Second Battle of GeonosisEdit
Poggle later returned to Geonosis and serve as the Overseer of the Geonosis primary droid foundry. When the Galactic Republic invaded the planet, Poggle led both the droid army and the native Geonosians against the Republic from the foundry. As the Republic forces approached his foundry, Poggle and his tactical droid, TX-21 oversaw the construction of Super tanks. They then deployed the ten garrisons of droids against the clone troopers under Jedi Generals Anakin Skywalker and Luminara Unduli. He and TX-21 then sent in the super tanks which were able to push the clones back. Poggle was then informed that 2 Jedi had infiltrated the reactor room. Poggle and TX-21 then went with a pair of his soldiers and one of his super tanks. There, he ordered his soldiers to take the bombs and kill the Jedi.
After the foundry's destruction, Poggle took an AAT with several of his droids and soldiers with him to the Progate Temple. Along the way, Poggle dropped crates, leaving a trail for Unduli and Buzz to follow. When Unduli and the trooper entered the temple, Poggle and several un-dead Geonosians killed Buzz and captured Unduli. He then took her into the catacombs of the temple and brought her before his queen, Karina the Great, as a gift. Together, they hoped they could use the Brain worms to control Unduli. However, Poggle and Karina were then found by Obi-Wan Kenobi and Skywalker. As they blinded the queen, Poggle was captured by Skywalker and Unduli. He was taken aboard the Venator-class Star Destroyer Resolute.
On board the Resolute, Poggle was interrogated by Kenobi, Ki-Adi-Mundi, and Unduli, but refused to answer their questions. When the worms were aboard his Padawan's supply ship, Skywalker interrogated Poggle alone. At first, Poggle refused but was then punched and force-choked. He then revealed the worms' weakness to the cold. Poggle was then transported to Coruscant, where he would be imprisoned in a cell at the Republic Center for Military Operations.
Imprisonment and Republic serviceEdit
- "Whatever it is can wait, Poggle. Your workers are dismantling everything they put together."
"Try not to be too hard on them. They are simply following my orders."
- ―Orson Krennic and Archduke Poggle the Lesser during his escape
Poggle would remain in Republic custody for thirteen months. During this time, he would be subjected to routine interrogation by agents of Republic Intelligence. One of the main topics of the interrogations was the supposed deep-space mobile battle station project, the "Ultimate Weapon" designed by the Stalgasin hive, that was thought to be under construction by the Confederacy. However, the Archduke repeatedly denied any Geonosian association, and feigned ignorance to the existence of the plans, which were actually in the possession of the Republic Special Weapons Group.
Poggle was later approached by Lieutenant Commander Orson Krennic of the Special Weapons Group, in another attempt to garner information on the Confederacy's Ultimate Weapon. Krennic, who himself was attempting to spearhead the project to develop the station, was able to appeal to Poggle's loyalty to his people and convinced him to provide the Geonosian drone population as a workforce for the battle-station's construction. With this allegiance to the Republic, the Archduke was returned to his homeworld on the eve of Meckgin, in which, amidst bloody celebrations, was able to convince the Geonosians to assist in the Republic's construction efforts.
However, Poggle had ulterior motives for providing such assistance to the Republic. Allotted with a private retinue of drones, Poggle secretly directed a massive uprising of the Geonosian soldiers servicing the battle-station as a diversion for his own escape to the Confederacy. In addition to sabotaging the construction project, the Archduke, with his own modified personal shuttle, was able to slip through the Republic flotilla in orbit and flee into hyperspace.
After escaping from Geonosis, Poggle rejoined the Confederacy as the war began to draw to its close. Following a string of Republic victories, General Grievous ordered the members of the Separatist Council, including Poggle, to remain under his protection. Grievous hid them on Utapau while he prepared a strike on Coruscant; following Count Dooku's death and Grievous's failure at Coruscant, Poggle and the other Separatist leaders were sent to a fortified bunker on Mustafar, by order of Darth Sidious.
When Anakin Skywalker, now as Sidious's new apprentice Darth Vader, arrived on Mustafar, the Separatist leaders discovered that he was sent not to reward the council, but to execute them. Poggle attempted to defend himself using his staff, to no avail, and was quickly cut in half.
Behind the scenesEdit
In a deleted scene for Attack of the Clones, Poggle sentences Anakin and Padmé to their deaths, finding them guilty of espionage, leading Nute Gunray to hurry him up to give the sentence.
In the DVD commentary, it is stated that Poggle was made to look different than other Geonosians so it was obvious he was their leader, similar to how Boss Nass was designed to look different from the other Gungans.
- Star Wars: Galactic Defense
- Star Wars Journeys: Beginnings
- Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones (First appearance)
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Senate Spy"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Landing at Point Rain" (Appears in flashback(s))
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Weapons Factory"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Legacy of Terror"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Brain Invaders"
- Catalyst: A Rogue One Novel
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Jedi Who Knew Too Much" (Appears on viewscreen)
- Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith
- Tarkin (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: Galaxy of Heroes
- LEGO Star Wars: Droid Tales – "Crisis on Coruscant" (Appears in flashback(s))
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars The Complete Season Two
- Journey Through Space (Picture only)
- Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know
- Star Wars Character Encyclopedia: Updated and Expanded
- Star Wars: Aliens of the Galaxy (Picture only)
- Star Wars: Complete Locations
- Star Wars Propaganda: A History of Persuasive Art in the Galaxy
- Star Wars: Galactic Atlas (Picture only)
- Star Wars: Rogue One: The Ultimate Visual Guide
- Darth Vader: Sith Lord
- Star Wars: The Visual Encyclopedia
- Star Wars: On the Front Lines
- Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know, Updated and Expanded
- Star Wars Encyclopedia of Starfighters and Other Vehicles
- (Picture only)
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 1.6
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith
- ↑ Star Wars Journeys: Beginnings
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Legacy of Terror"
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 5.3 5.4 Catalyst: A Rogue One Novel
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Senate Spy"
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars The Complete Season Two
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Landing at Point Rain"
- ↑ 11.0 11.1 Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Weapons Factory"
- ↑ 12.0 12.1 Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Brain Invaders"
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Jedi Who Knew Too Much"
- ↑ Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones DVD commentary