Polis Massa was an asteroid field located in the Subterrel sector of the galaxy's Outer Rim Territories, far from any major hyperspace lanes. At some point, Polis Massa was a planet located within the system of the same name until it was destroyed by a mysterious cataclysm. The Archaeological Research Council of Kallidah established a base on one asteroid in order to excavate its surface to study the reasons behind the planet's destruction. The Kallidahin eventually came to be known as Polis Massans.
Following the execution of Order 66, Polis Massa became a safe haven for surviving Jedi. Shortly after the lightsaber duel between Obi-Wan Kenobi and Darth Vader on Mustafar, Padmé Amidala gave birth to twins, Luke and Leia, at the medical facility located on Polis Massa.
Behind the scenesEdit
Created for the 2005 film Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith, Polis Massa was originally known as Polis Matza during script development of Revenge of the Sith. Slowed down footage of the asteroid field from Star Wars: Episode V The Empire Strikes Back was used as a placeholder for Polis Massa in the evolving edit of Episode III. In the DVD commentary for Revenge of the Sith, John Knoll explained that George Lucas specifically designed the look of Polis Massa to be an homage to the look of the Clavius moon base in the 1968 film 2001: A Space Odyssey.
- Journey Through Space
- Ultimate Star Wars
- Star Wars Character Encyclopedia: Updated and Expanded
- Star Wars: Complete Locations
- Star Wars: Galactic Atlas
- Entertainment Weekly's Ultimate Guide to Rogue One
- Darth Vader: Sith Lord
- Star Wars: The Rebel Files
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 2.5 Ultimate Star Wars
- ↑ Star Wars: The Force Awakens Beginner Game
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith
- ↑ Star Wars Character Encyclopedia: Updated and Expanded
- ↑ Star Wars: The Rebel Files
- ↑ Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith DVD (Audio Commentary)