Politics was the system by which a govermental being or body was governed. Those involved in governing and formulating public policy were known as politicians. Most planets had their own political system. Most political systems had their own constitution and law system, however it had to comply with the Galactic Constitution if it was part of the Republic.
Most planets had a head of state. It was usually in the form of a king, a queen, a president, a prime minister, or a chancellor. The head of state could either be chosen by election, or by way of inheritance.
Within many inter-galactic governments, politics had become very corrupted by politicians who focussed on their own self-advancement and greed.
Behind the scenes
When Revenge of the Sith was released, George Lucas was criticized for using the film to promote a liberal agenda. He has responded that the prequel trilogy was originally conceived in the 1970s and influenced as much by Richard Nixon as George W. Bush.
- Star Wars: The Old Republic
- Star Wars: Darth Plagueis
- Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace
- Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones
- Star Wars: Clone Wars
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars
- Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
- Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope
- Star Wars Galaxies: An Empire Divided
- Dark Empire Sourcebook
- Star Wars: Rebellion: Prima's Official Strategy Guide
- Fate of the Jedi: Dramatis Personae