- "Negola dewaghi wool dugger?"
"He doesn't like you."
- ―Ponda Baba and Evazan, to Luke Skywalker
Ponda Baba was a male Aqualish thug who rescued Dr. Cornelius Evazan from a bounty hunter. The two formed a partnership and began to smuggle spice for the crime lord Jabba the Hutt, resulting in him becoming a wanted man. Shortly before the Battle of Yavin, he was a patron in Chalmun's Cantina on the planet Tatooine, where he instigated an argument with Luke Skywalker while bored and drunk. Evazan claimed that Baba did not like Skywalker and began to threaten the youth, leading to a brief confrontation with Obi-Wan Kenobi, who, after failing to calm tensions with the pirates, used his lightsaber to sever Baba's right arm and wound Evazan with a slash across the torso when the pair drew their blaster pistols on the old man, who was in secret one of the last remaining Jedi Masters of the nearly extinct Jedi Order. Evazan later tried to reattach Baba's arm using his medical training, but ended up nearly killing the Aqualish in the process when the procedure failed.
- "You just watch yourself. We're wanted men."
- ―Cornelius Evazan
Originally from the planet Ando, Ponda Baba was a burly Aqualish thug who rescued Cornelius Evazan, a former doctor who was infamous for the cruelty he inflicted upon his patients, from a bounty hunter. The two formed a partnership and began to smuggle spice for Jabba the Hutt. The pirates were successful at their trade and became wanted men. Their working relationship wasn't always pleasant, however, and Baba even briefly considered turning Evazan in to collect the bounty on his head before realizing that their ongoing partnership was more profitable. Still, the two considered each other friends despite their differences.
Prior to the Battle of Yavin, Baba and Evazan were patrons at Chalmun's Cantina on Tatooine. Bored and looking for excitement, a drunk Baba decided to pick a fight with Luke Skywalker, a young farmboy. Evazan quickly escalated the argument, even beginning to threaten the boy before attracting the attention of Obi-Wan Kenobi, Skywalker's guardian. The hermit attempted to ease tensions by offering to purchase the pair drinks, but Evazan refused to back down and tossed Skywalker out of his way, and, along with Baba, drew his blaster pistol on the old man, despite the protest of Wuher, the cantina's bartender. Before the pirates were even able to discharge their weapons, however, Kenobi had already ignited his lightsaber, swiftly removing Baba's right arm and wounding Evazan with a slash across his torso, decisively ending the argument.
Following the altercation, those present in the cantina briefly turned to see what had transpired before returning to their business. However, a departing patron, Garouf Lafoe, decided to inform a squad of Mos Eisley's sandtroopers of the attack. After the troopers had entered the establishment and reached the counter, Wuher indicated to them where Kenobi and Skywalker had taken a seat, though the pair found another exit before they could be apprehended. Evazan tried to reattach Baba's arm using his medical training, but ended up nearly killing the Aqualish in the process when the procedure failed. Ponda would later regret bullying that 'blond human teenager.'
Personality and traitsEdit
- "No blasters! No blasters!"
- ―Wuher, as Ponda Baba draws his blaster pistol
Ponda Baba wore an orange jacket, a brown pair of pants, a black pair of boots, and a black belt with a gold buckle which had a holster attached to its left side to carry his SE-14C blaster pistol.
- Rogue One: A Star Wars Story
- Rogue One: A Star Wars Story novelization
- Star Wars: Rogue One: A Junior Novel
- Bounty Hunt (Picture only)
- Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope (First appearance)
- A New Hope: The Princess, the Scoundrel, and the Farm Boy
- Star Wars: A New Hope junior novelization
- Star Wars: Heroes Path
- A New Hope
- The Original Trilogy Stories
- Star Wars: The Original Trilogy – A Graphic Novel
- "The Luckless Rodian"—From a Certain Point of View
- "Not for Nothing"—From a Certain Point of View
- "We Don't Serve Their Kind Here"—From a Certain Point of View
- "The Kloo Horn Cantina Caper"—From a Certain Point of View
- "The Secrets of Long Snoot"—From a Certain Point of View
- "Born in the Storm"—From a Certain Point of View (Indirect mention only)
- The Weapon of a Jedi: A Luke Skywalker Adventure (Indirect mention only)
- (Slide 20)
- "A Trip to the Light Side"—Star Wars Insider 152 (Indirect mention only)
- Star Wars: Card Trader (Card: ) (First identified as Ponda Baba)
- Ultimate Star Wars
- Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know
- Star Wars Character Encyclopedia: Updated and Expanded
- Star Wars: Complete Locations
- Star Wars: Rogue One: The Ultimate Visual Guide (First identified as Sawkee)
- Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know, Updated and Expanded
- (Misspelled as "Ponda Boba")
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 Ultimate Star Wars
- ↑ 2.00 2.01 2.02 2.03 2.04 2.05 2.06 2.07 2.08 2.09 2.10 2.11 Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 3.5 3.6
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 Star Wars: Card Trader (Card: )
- ↑ 5.0 5.1
- ↑ Rogue One: A Star Wars Story
- ↑ 7.0 7.1
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 Star Wars: Complete Locations
- ↑ Star Wars Character Encyclopedia: Updated and Expanded
- ↑ The Weapon of a Jedi: A Luke Skywalker Adventure
- ↑ The Original Trilogy Stories
- ↑ Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know