- "I am Pre Vizsla of Clan Vizsla. Death Watch is here to save you from these intergalactic gangsters that threaten our great city. This is a war, and we will win. Join me, and let us defend Mandalore against the criminals. We need action, not pacifism!"
- ―Pre Vizsla, to the people of Mandalore
Pre Vizsla (pronounced /'pri vizlɑ/) was a human male Mandalorian warrior from the planet Mandalore and was the leader of the Mandalorian Death Watch faction during the Clone Wars. He is most famous for his wielding of the infamous Darksaber. Vizsla briefly achieved his goal and took the title of Mand'alor before he was killed by his former ally Darth Maul.
The Clone WarsEdit
Plot to Overthrow the DuchessEdit
- "For generations, my ancestors fought proudly as warriors against the Jedi. Now, that woman tarnishes the very name Mandalorian. Defend her, if you will."
- ―Pre Vizsla, on Satine Kryze, to Obi-Wan Kenobi
Seeking to overthrow Duchess Satine Kryze and her pacifistic government, in order to restore Mandalore to its warrior past, Vizsla secretly allied himself with Count Dooku and his Confederacy of Independent Systems. While governing Mandalore's moon, Concordia, and maintaining loyalty to Kryze in public, Vizsla led the Death Watch in secret from several Concordian mining camp bases. The Death Watch's attack on a Jedi Cruiser and terrorist attacks on Mandalore came to a head when Jedi Master Obi-Wan Kenobi arrived on Concordia with Kryze to follow leads on the Death Watch. When Kenobi discovered the Death Watch's secret base, Vizsla revealed himself as the renegades' leader. Vizsla then used the Darksaber to duel with Kenobi, but Kenobi and Satine escaped Concordia.
Assassination attempt on KryzeEdit
Vizsla conspired with Mandalorian Senator Tal Merrik to capture Kryze during her journey to Coruscant, where she intended to plead her case directly to the Galactic Senate, but Merrik was defeated before he could complete his assignment. Amassing an army of Death Watch troops on Concordia in preparation to take over Mandalore, Vizsla was forced to wait until his and Dooku's plot to turn Mandalore against the Republic was completed. Vizsla dispatched an assassin to Coruscant to kill Kryze, as her death would remove the opposition to the Senate's upcoming vote to have Republic troops occupy Mandalore—an occupation which would allow the Death Watch to gain the support of Mandalore's populace and "liberate" them from the Republic. However, the assassin failed to murder Kryze, and the plot itself fell through, with the Senate voting against occupying Mandalore. With this turn of events, Vizsla was forced to postpone his attack on Mandalore, as his forces would be unable to hold the planet without its people's support.
Plot against Dooku and CarlacEdit
Following the aborted takeover of Mandalore, Vizsla then met with Dooku. During this meeting, Vizsla was betrayed by Dooku and scarred across his cheek by the Sith Lord's lightsaber. Vizsla then broke ties with the Confederacy and vowed to kill Dooku.
The Death Watch under Vizsla maintain a small base on the world Carlac, where they committed dishonorable acts against it's native species, the Ming Po, forcing their women to work for them. Eventually Lux Bonteri in attempt take revenge against Count Dooku for death of his mother, Mina Bonteri, had allied himself with Pre Vizla and he was used try find and kill Count Dooku but failed. Pre Vizla was then confronted by the Ming Po elders who had demanded the return of their women. At first they complied but Lux's was shown true colors of the Death Watch as they began burning down the Ming Po village. Bonteri's Jedi companion Ahsoka Tano attempted stop this, but was ultimately overpowered and captured by the Death Watch warriors.
Shadow Collective and DeathEdit
- "Like you said: only the strongest...shall rule."
- ―Pre Vizla's last words
As a Mandalorian warrior, Vizsla had advanced training in many forms of combat from ranged weaponry to hand-to-hand combat. A skilled unarmed combatant, Vizsla was able to compete with Obi-Wan Kenobi and Darth Maul in his duels with the two Force-wielding warriors. Vizsla was also a highly capable marksman, even able to shoot the lightsaber out of Maul's hand in their bout. In addition to his unarmed and ranged abilities, Vizsla had at least some degree of training with the Darksaber and was skilled enough to keep even a Jedi at bay.
Vizsla wore the traditional combat armor of the Mandalorian warriors. This armor was equipped with dual antennas, a jetpack variant, magnetized boots and a pair of Mandalorian vambraces. Vizsla's vambraces were equipped with at least paired blaster barrels, a flamethrower, whipcord thrower and a launcher that fired disc-shaped buzzsaws.
In addition to his armor, Vizsla wielded a pair of WESTAR-35 blaster pistols and the Darksaber, a legendary lightsaber created by his ancestor Tarre Vizsla that had been used by his clan and House to rule all of Mandalore long ago.
- Star Wars: Galactic Defense
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Mandalore Plot" (First appearance)
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Voyage of Temptation" (Appears in hologram)
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Duchess of Mandalore"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "A Friend in Need"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Eminence"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Shades of Reason"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Lawless" (Appears in flashback(s))
- Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know
- Star Wars Propaganda: A History of Persuasive Art in the Galaxy
- Star Wars: Galactic Atlas
- ; image #7 (of 22)
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 1.6
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Shades of Reason"
- ↑ Star Wars Rebels – "The Protector of Concord Dawn"
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Eminence"
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 5.3 5.4 Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Mandalore Plot"
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Voyage of Temptation"
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Duchess of Mandalore"
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 8.2 8.3 Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "A Friend in Need"
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Lawless"
- ↑ Ultimate Star Wars
- ↑ Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know, Updated and Expanded