The pod was equipped with a fully automated droid brain with astrogation capabilities. It could carry one droid and land at a specific location, though its internal navigation computer was limited to one hyperspace jump. It was routinely launched from an Imperial-class Star Destroyer before entering hyperspace en route to a designated star system.
It was 3.4 meters in length with consumables of up to one month; it had a maximum descent speed through atmosphere of 1,200 kph; and it was equipped with a variety of different sensory functions, including a sensor baffler making it difficult to detect. Upon landing on a designated world, the pod was discarded, allowing the Viper probe droid to begin its search.
- Star Wars: Episode V The Empire Strikes Back (First appearance)
- Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back junior novel
- Star Wars: X-Wing Alliance
- Galaxy Guide 3: The Empire Strikes Back (First identified as Probe-Mate hyperspace pod)
- The Movie Trilogy Sourcebook (As "Probe-mate hyperspace pod")
- Rebellion Era Sourcebook
- Star Wars: X-Wing Alliance: Prima's Official Strategy Guide
- The Official Star Wars Fact File 4 (HOT2, The Battle of Hoth)
- The Official Star Wars Fact File 6 (PRO1–2, Arakyd Viper Probe Droid – Probot)
- The Official Star Wars Fact File 11 (STA4, Imperial Star Destroyer) (Indirect mention only)
- Star Wars Trading Card Game – The Empire Strikes Back (Card: Probe Droid)
- Star Wars Trading Card Game – The Empire Strikes Back (Card: Probe the Galaxy) (Picture only)
- Star Wars Character Encyclopedia