- "In order to ensure the security and continuing stability, the Republic will be reorganized into the First Galactic Empire, for a safe and secure society!"
- ―Sheev Palpatine
The proclamation of the New Order was the event that marked the founding of the Galactic Empire. At the end of the Clone Wars, during an emergency session of the Galactic Senate, Supreme Chancellor Sheev Palpatine—secretly Darth Sidious, the Dark Lord of the Sith—claimed that the Jedi Order had attempted to overthrow the government. The Jedi were declared enemies of the state, and Sidious transformed the Galactic Republic into the First Galactic Empire, with himself as absolute ruler. The proclamation was met with widespread support in the Senate and in public, though some—such as Senators Bail Organa and Padmé Amidala—quietly watched in disappointment. Empire Day was an annual holiday that marked the declaration of the New Order.
|Source: Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith||Attribution: Sheev Palpatine|
(applause) And the Jedi rebellion has been foiled.
The remaining Jedi will be hunted down and defeated! (applause)
The attempt on my life has left me scarred and deformed. But, I assure you, my resolve has never been stronger! (applause)
[…]In order to ensure the security and continuing stability, the Republic will be reorganized into the first Galactic Empire (applause) for safe and secure society! (thunderous applause)
|This work is copyrighted. The individual who uploaded this work asserts that this qualifies as fair use of the material under United States copyright law.|
- "So this is how liberty dies, with thunderous applause."
- ―Padmé Amidala
Though the speech received unanimous support of transitioning the Galactic Republic into the Galactic Empire, the speech itself had mixed reception. Some senators were in support of it because it meant a chance at a time of peace after three years of war and the carnage that occurred. Others, notably the senators who signed the Delegation of 2,000, personally disagreed with the speech, but did not speak out. During the speech, the Naboo senator, Padmé Amidala, mused that "to thunderous applause" was "how liberty dies."
Behind the scenesEdit
According to George Lucas, the proclamation, as well as Amidala's comment about liberty dying being "from thunderous applause," was intended to reference the rise of Nazi leader Adolf Hitler in Germany.[source?]
- (Indirect mention only)
- "Star Wars Rebels Recounted"—Star Wars Insider 155 (Indirect mention only)
- Star Wars Propaganda: A History of Persuasive Art in the Galaxy (Indirect mention only)
- Entertainment Weekly's Ultimate Guide to Rogue One
- Star Wars: Rogue One: The Ultimate Visual Guide
- Star Wars: On the Front Lines
- Dawn of Rebellion
- (Indirect mention only)
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.00 1.01 1.02 1.03 1.04 1.05 1.06 1.07 1.08 1.09 1.10 1.11 1.12 1.13 1.14 1.15 1.16 1.17 1.18 1.19 1.20 1.21 Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith
- ↑ Ahsoka
- ↑ Catalyst: A Rogue One Novel
- ↑ Kanan 2: The Last Padawan, Part II: Flight
- ↑ Since Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith establishes that the Mission to Mustafar was concurrent to the Proclamation of the New Order, we can deduce that this was a previous event to the Senatorial arrests"
- ↑ Since the Senatorial arrests are stated by Star Wars: The Rebel Files as taking place one day after the Proclamation of the New Order, and the Rebels Recon episode on Star Wars Rebels: The Siege of Lothal establishing that Luke Skywalker and Leia Organa were born two days after the proclamation, and Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith demonstrating that the birth of Luke and Leia take on Polis Massa following the Duel on Mustafar, we can deduce that the Senatorial arrests took place prior to the Duel on Mustafar, as well as the Duel in the Galactic Senate as they are concurrent.
- ↑ Star Wars: Galactic Atlas
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 Star Wars Rebels – "Empire Day"