Project Phlutdroid was the codename of the project that resulted in the development of IG-88 and its variations, including IG-72. The name was derived from that of Phlut Design Systems, the Republic-era company that produced the IG lancer combat droid, on which the design of IG-88 was partially based.
Project Phlutdroid was carried out by the scientists of Holowan Laboratories, under the auspices of Imperial Supervisor Gurdun. Unfortunately for Holowan, moments after their activation, the new IG assassin droids embarked on a rampage of destruction through the laboratory, and eventually escaped to Mechis III.
- Galaxy Guide 3: The Empire Strikes Back (First mentioned)
- Star Wars: The Action Figure Archive
- The Essential Guide to Droids
- The Official Star Wars Fact File 4 (ASS1, IG-88 Assassin Droid)
- The New Essential Guide to Droids
- Rebellion Era Campaign Guide
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia