- "A precise hit will start a chain reaction which should destroy the station. Only a precise hit will set up a chain reaction. The shaft is ray-shielded, so you'll have to use proton torpedoes."
- ―General Jan Dodonna briefs Rebel pilots on the attack on the Death Star
Decades later, proton torpedoes were used by TIE bombers to bomb a carrier stolen by the Spectres. Later, they were used by the Alliance to Restore the Republic during the Battle of Yavin. After examining stolen plans for the Death Star, a planet-destroying space station operated by the Galactic Empire, the Rebel Alliance determined that the Death Star could be destroyed if proton torpedoes were fired into the exhaust port which led down into the reactor core. Using the Force, Luke Skywalker successfully destroyed the station using proton torpedoes during the battle.
- Star Wars: Rey's Survival Guide
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens: Incredible Cross-Sections
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens: The Visual Dictionary
- Star Wars Propaganda: A History of Persuasive Art in the Galaxy
- ; image #5
- ; images #1, 3, 5 (of 15)
- ; image #10 (of 12)