- "A precise hit will start a chain reaction which should destroy the station. Only a precise hit will set up a chain reaction. The shaft is ray-shielded, so you'll have to use proton torpedoes."
- ―General Jan Dodonna briefs Rebel pilots on the attack on the Death Star
Proton torpedoes were a type of explosive ordnance used throughout the galaxy. They were used by the Naboo Royal Security Forces during the Invasion of Naboo, in which Anakin Skywalker destroyed the Trade Federation command ship with proton torpedoes. Decades later, they were used by the Alliance to Restore the Republic during the Battle of Yavin. After examining stolen plans for the Death Star, a planet-destroying space station operated by the Galactic Empire, the Rebel Alliance determined that the Death Star could be destroyed if proton torpedoes were fired into the exhaust port which led down into the reactor core. Luke Skywalker successfully destroyed the station using proton torpedoes during the battle.The Resistance later used these to perform a bombing run on the Starkiller Base.
- Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace
- Star Wars: Galactic Defense
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Cat and Mouse"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Shadow of Malevolence"
- Star Wars Rebels – "Wings of the Master" (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope (First appearance)
- A New Hope Read-Along Storybook and CD
- The Adventures of Luke Skywalker, Jedi Knight
- Heir to the Jedi (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars Battlefront
- Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens
- Star Wars in 100 Scenes
- Star Wars: Rey's Survival Guide
- ; image #5
- ; images #1, 3, 5 (of 15)
- ; image #10 (of 12)