Psychometry, also known as Postcognition, or telemetry was a Force power that was a mental technique of picking up impressions and traces of information about the object touched and the events that have surrounded it.
This power allowed the user to view events as if they were there, including the sights, sounds, and feelings, both emotional and physical, that the wielder of the object experienced. This power was easier to use on personal objects that were used frequently. Objects that were used once or by several people often made the use of this power difficult, though it was still possible. This skill was useful for tracking though it was not useful in open battle and would fail to render useful information at times.
About one in one hundred Kiffar were able to use this power. The Vos line of Kiffar had more than their share of psychometrically-abled Kiffar. Most with this ability became Kiffu Guardians. Quinlan Vos often used psychometry, being the Kiffar of his time most skilled at it. The power could taint the user if the object had been used to execute dark side related actions, like murder. Use of the dark side enabled possessors of the power to use it on living beings, ripping memories from their brains.
The Jedi Council strongly discouraged the use of psychometry on dead bodies as the emotions prior to a violent death are so strong that the deceased would have likely brushed with the dark side. This endangered Jedi by exposing them to these powerful emotions. Additionally, at the time of the Invasion of Naboo, the Jedi Council frowned upon excessive use of this power, as it allowed the user to experience intense emotions, which might make him more susceptible to the dark side of the Force. Extreme cases caused the psychometric's mind to become trapped, and rarer still, cause death.
The Dark Jedi Boc Aseca was adept with this skill.
As a young man, Luke Skywalker visited the Valley of the Spirits. His untrained psychometric abilities gave him enough insight into the massacre that he was able to read some of the scene and knew where Shmi Skywalker Lars had been restrained. The experience unsettled him strongly, to the point where he described it as "worse than a nightmare".
Years later, when Leia Organa was kidnapped by Han Solo as part of an attempt to woo her, Luke Skywalker used this ability to track Han's emotional "scent" to the casino where he had won the planet Dathomir from the Drackmarian Warlord Omogg.
- Red Harvest
- The Old Republic: Fatal Alliance
- Star Wars: Republic: The Stark Hyperspace War
- Star Wars: Republic: Twilight (First identified as psychometry)
- Heart of Fire
- Star Wars: Republic: Darkness
- Jedi: Count Dooku
- Star Wars: Republic: Trackdown
- Star Wars: Republic: Siege of Saleucami
- Star Wars: Republic: Hidden Enemy
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Hunt for Ziro"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars: The Sith Hunters
- Star Wars: Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II
- Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor
- A New Hope: The Life of Luke Skywalker
- The Courtship of Princess Leia (First appearance)
- Legacy of the Force: Sacrifice
- The Star Wars Rules Companion (As "Postcognition")
- Power of the Jedi Sourcebook
- The New Essential Chronology
- Jedi vs. Sith: The Essential Guide to the Force
- The Clone Wars Campaign Guide
- The Jedi Path: A Manual for Students of the Force (Also known as Tai vordrax)
- Book of Sith: Secrets from the Dark Side