- "But why was it so important to get this pig here?"
"Because a puffer pig has a nose for precious minerals. It can do the job of a dozen mining scanners."
- ―Hera Syndulla and Lando Calrissian
Puffer pigs were a non-sentient mammalian species. They were capable of sniffing out valuable minerals with the efficiency of a dozen mining scanners—which made them very valuable to smugglers and miners. When frightened, puffer pigs would inflate their bodies to massive proportions, and were capable of multiple size increases if further threats occurred. The galactic entrepreneur Lando Calrissian once traded with the criminal Azmorigan for a puffer pig, offering him the Twi'lek pilot Hera Syndulla in return. Calrissian planned on using the pig to find minerals on the planet Lothal; however, Azmorigan confronted Calrissian and demanded the pig back after Syndulla escaped from him. Syndulla and her crew, along with Calrissian, then defeated Azmorigan and his men, using the pig itself in the combat to knock down several of the criminal's men.
- Star Wars Rebels – "Idiot's Array" (First appearance)
- Always Bet on Chopper
- "Rebel Bluff"—Star Wars Insider 158 (Mentioned only)
- "Puffer Problems"—Star Wars Rebels Magazine 21
- Star Wars Rebels – "Trials of the Darksaber" (Art only)
- "Star Wars Rebels Recounted"—Star Wars Insider 156 (Indirect mention only)
- Ultimate Star Wars
- Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know
- ; image #6 (of 8)