Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
- "It's a dream come true, and I hope I can live up to the expectations of the thousands of R2-D2 Builders around the world, let alone the millions of Star Wars fans."
- ―Oliver Steeples, on being contracted to work on Episode VII
Founded in 1999 by Dave Everett, the R2-D2 Builders Club has continually striven to develop an accurate resource for reproducing the lovable Star Wars astromech droid designated R2-D2. Current membership stands at over 7,100 and continues to grow with members from all over the world.
The official club logo was adopted by the Lucasfilm R2-D2 Unit for their crew gear during the filming of Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones in Australia. An example can be seen in this crew cap.
Lee Towersey and Oliver Steeples, two English members of the club, were contracted by Lucasfilm Ltd. to provide and oversee the R2-D2 model for Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens. In the summer of 2013, they met Lucasfilm Chair Kathleen Kennedy at Celebration Europe II and jokingly told her that they would be available for the film. Nevertheless, Kennedy recommended them to Executive Producer Jason McGatlin, who contacted Towersey and Steeples to offer them the job.
- "Chopper Rolls Out!"—Star Wars Insider 152
- "Bantha Tracks"—Star Wars Insider 153
- "Bantha Tracks"—Star Wars Insider 154
- "Blaster"—Star Wars Insider 157