Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
At the height of the Clone Wars, R2-KT was assigned to the 501st Legion and served on board a Republic assault ship belonging to Jedi Knights Anakin Skywalker and Obi-Wan Kenobi. Over the course of the war, "Katie" and R2 liked to meet and gossip about the war and the Republic Fleet. During the events of Rotta's kidnapping, the droid was present at a briefing of clone troopers and their Jedi commanders.
Behind the scenesEdit
R2-KT started off as a real-world replica of an R2-series astromech droid with pink highlights. Albin Johnson, the founder of the 501st Legion, wanted to build a pink droid for his daughter Katie, who was dying from brain cancer (In fact, the "KT" suffix would appear to be a reference to her name). When it was realized that he did not have enough time, R2-KT was built by Jerry Greene, master droid builder, with the help of the R2 Builders Club. R2-KT makes appearances at children's hospitals, Star Wars Celebration, and charity events in the southeastern United States. A Hasbro action figure of this droid was sold at San Diego Comic-Con 2007 and the character had a cameo in the Star Wars: The Clone Wars film.
R2-KT was originally going to appear in The Clone Wars episodes Secret Weapons and A Sunny Day in the Void. However, since those episodes featured R2-D2 as a main character, The Clone Wars crew wanted to avoid the audience confusion when addressing the droids. As a result, they created the astromech QT-KT instead as an homage.
In the blog series From World War to Star Wars, R2-KT alongside her substitute QT-KT's pink coloring as well as acting as a secret weapon was acknowledged as having a precedent during World War II where certain fighter planes, such as one of the Spitfire planes, were colored pink to effectively camouflage them during dawn and dusk to photograph enemy targets without being detected, which had been proposed by Lord Mountbatten for the British Royal Navy.
- Star Wars Galactic Spy
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars film (First appearance)
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Jedi Crash"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Storm Over Ryloth"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Mercy Mission"
- Star Wars: Clone Wars Adventures video game
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia (First identified as R2-KT)
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars: Visual Guide Ultimate Battles
- "Making Giant Plans!"—Star Wars Insider 106
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars Comic UK 6.23
- Star Wars: The Ultimate Visual Guide: Updated and Expanded
- "Bantha Tracks"—Star Wars Insider 147
Notes and referencesEdit
- R2KT.com, R2-KT's official website
- The Katie Johnson Home Page
- R2-KT on CWA Wiki
- Astromech.net The Official R2 Builders Club website
- Carolina Garrison, R2-KT's 501st unit