R2 series astromech droids, also known as R2 units, were a very popular series of astromech droids produced by Industrial Automaton. They stood at around 1 meter in height, and were programmed to perform a variety of tasks. They were designed to be able to fit in the droid sockets commonly found on starfighters. R2-D2 was a notable example of this model. Although the R2 series was used prior to the Clone Wars, they were still considered to be new during the Age of the Empire. According to C1-10P, a C1-series astromech droid, the greatest flaw in R2 units' programming was compassion.
- William Shakespeare's The Phantom of Menace: Star Wars Part the First
- William Shakespeare's The Clone Army Attacketh: Star Wars Part the Second
- William Shakespeare's Tragedy of the Sith's Revenge: Star Wars Part the Third
- Epic Yarns: A New Hope
- Epic Yarns: The Empire Strikes Back
- LEGO Star Wars: The Freemaker Adventures – "Zander's Joyride" (Appears in flashback(s))
- LEGO Star Wars: The Freemaker Adventures – "Trouble on Tibalt"
- LEGO Star Wars: The Freemaker Adventures – "Return of the Return of the Jedi"
- Epic Yarns: Return of the Jedi
- LEGO Star Wars: Droid Tales Episodes I-III
- LEGO Star Wars: The Force Awakens
- Star Wars: Puzzle Droids
- Star Wars Blips – "One Up"
- Star Wars Blips – "Out of Reach"
- Star Wars Blips – "Fan Droids"
- Star Wars: Galaxy of Heroes
- Star Wars Rebels: The Visual Guide
- Star Wars Rebels: Sabine My Rebel Sketchbook
- Ultimate Star Wars (First identified as R2 series astromech droid)
- Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know
- Star Wars: Ships of the Galaxy
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens: The Visual Dictionary
- Star Wars Character Encyclopedia: Updated and Expanded
- Star Wars: ABC-3PO
- Star Wars: Poe Dameron: Flight Log
- Star Wars: Galactic Atlas
- Backstories: Star Wars – Darth Vader: Sith Lord
- Star Wars: On the Front Lines
- Star Wars: Look and Find
- In the earliest Italian works, all astromech droids are called "C1 units" (R2-D2 is called "C1-P8").