- "Master, they just delivered your replacement astromech droid. This is R3-S6. I've heard that the new R3s are far faster in thinking skills and more powerful than the old R2 units."
- ―Ahsoka Tano, introducing R3-S6 to Anakin Skywalker
R3-S6, also known as "Goldie" or "Stubby," was an R3-series astromech droid assigned to Anakin Skywalker during the Clone Wars to replace his lost astromech droid, R2-D2. Serving as a double-agent for the Separatists, R3-S6 would often sabotage Republic missions.
The search for R2Edit
- "A gold droid for Gold leader of Gold Squadron."
- ―Ahsoka Tano, to Anakin Skywalker
Following the loss of R2-D2 during the Battle of Bothawui, R3-S6 was assigned to Jedi General Anakin Skywalker as a replacement. R3, secretly an agent of Separatist leader General Grievous, accompanied Skywalker and his Padawan, Ahsoka Tano, as they searched for R2. In an attempt to gain Skywalker's appreciation for R3, Tano nicknamed the droid "Goldie," pointing out that Skywalker was Gold Leader of Gold Squadron. Despite this, Skywalker still disliked R3, giving him the name "Stubby", as he felt something suspicious on the droid. While searching the remains of the battle, the trio encountered a Trandoshan scavenging freighter. Believing the vessel may have collected R2, the group boarded, and were welcomed by Gha Nachkt, who claimed R2 was not aboard. Nonetheless, they continued to browse the scavenger's collection. Eventually, they gave up their search and returned to Skywalker's Corellian freighter, the Twilight.
- "Report, Agent R3."
Unbeknownst to Skywalker, R2-D2 was aboard Nachkt's freighter, as the Trandoshan intended to sell the droid to Grievous for the vital information it contained. As Nachkt neared Skytop Station, a Confederate listening post, R2 sent a message to the Twilight, allowing Skywalker to track him. Skywalker, Tano, R3-S6, and a group of clone troopers infiltrated Skytop Station, where Skywalker set off in search of his droid, and the rest set out to destroy the station's reactors. While Tano and the clones were distracted, R3 contacted Grievous, alerting them of the Jedi's presence. The general soon arrived, separating Tano and R3 from the clones. As Tano hid from Grievous, R3 revealed her location, and a brief lightsaber duel ensued before Tano fled. Tano, now aware of R3's allegiance, attempted to reunite with her team in the station's hangar. However, R3 reached them first, proceeding to close the hangar door and activate three vulture droids. Concluding that R3 was a spy, Skywalker ordered the recently-found R2-D2 to reopen the doors so they could escape the exploding station via the Twilight. R3 followed R2 to the catwalk were the access port was located, and a duel began between the two astromechs. R2 was victorious, and R3 fell off the catwalk before being hit by debris from the falling station.
- "As for you, Stubby, you'd make a poor excuse for a light switch."
- ―Anakin Skywalker
R3-S6 was an R3-series astromech droid with masculine programming manufactured by Industrial Automaton. He served Grievous of the Confederacy of Independent Systems, faking unintelligence to sabotage missions of the Galactic Republic.
Behind the scenesEdit
R3-S6 was created for the animated television series Star Wars: The Clone Wars, being first mentioned in the Legends sourcebook Star Wars: The Clone Wars: The Visual Guide and first appearing in the series' sixth episode, "Downfall of a Droid," in 2008.
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Downfall of a Droid" (First appearance)
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Duel of the Droids"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars: The Complete Season One
- Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars: The Complete Season One
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 2.5 2.6 2.7 2.8 2.9 Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Duel of the Droids"
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Star Wars Rebels: The Visual Guide
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 4.4 4.5 4.6 4.7 Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Downfall of a Droid"
- ↑ 5.0 5.1
- ↑ Ultimate Star Wars
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars: The Visual Guide