R3-T2 (Arthree-Teetoo) was an R3-series astromech droid who was the property of an abusive crew of pirates. By the year 0 BBY, R3-T2 had escaped its owners and roamed the streets of the desert planet Tatooine's Mos Eisley spaceport, avoiding capture by its former masters.
Manufactured by Industrial Automaton, R3-T2, also spelled "Arthree-Teetoo," was one of the few R3-series astromech droids to avoid service aboard the warships built during the Galactic Civil War. For many years, the droid was the property of an abusive crew of pirates based in Mos Eisley, a spaceport located on the desert planet Tatooine.
Finally at the end of its electronic tether, R3-T2 escaped from its tormentors by 0 BBY and was a refugee from that day forth, constantly roaming the spaceport to avoid capture, though its owner remained a mystery to some. Shortly before the Battle of Yavin, the droid was wandering the streets of Mos Eisley when it passed an X-34 landspeeder carrying Tatooine locals Luke Skywalker and Obi-Wan Kenobi.
The astromech droid R3-T2 had a mostly red dome, white body plating with blue trim, and a black photoreceptor. Unlike most R3 units, R3-T2 did not have a clear plastex dome. The droid stood 0.96 meters in height.
R3-T2 was equipped with an Intellex V droid brain. Its former masters enhanced the astromech droid with an increased memory capacity, as well as special programming that made it equally capable of enhancing or sabotaging a starship's hyperdrive systems. The droid was adapted for survival on Tatooine, a desert world.
Behind the scenesEdit
R3-T2 appears in the 1977 film Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope as one of the droid extras roaming the Mos Eisley spaceport during the arrival of Luke Skywalker and Obi-Wan Kenobi. The droid was first identified by name and given a brief backstory on the "R3-T2 (Arthree-Teetoo)" card from the 1998 Special Edition Limited expansion set of the Star Wars Customizable Card Game from Decipher, Inc.
- Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope (First appearance)
- Star Wars Customizable Card Game – Special Edition Limited (Card: R3-T2 (Arthree-Teetoo)) (First identified as R3-T2)
- The Official Star Wars Fact File 11 (AST3, Astromech Droids)
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.00 1.01 1.02 1.03 1.04 1.05 1.06 1.07 1.08 1.09 1.10 1.11 1.12 The Official Star Wars Fact File 11 (AST3, Astromech Droids)
- ↑ According to The New Essential Guide to Droids, astromech droids are classified as second-degree droids.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 3.5 3.6 Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia, Vol. III, p. 70 ("R3-T2 (Arthree-Teetoo)")
- ↑ The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia, Vol. III, p. 224 ("Tatooine")
- ↑ The New Essential Chronology dates the events of Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope, which includes R3-T2's time in Mos Eisley, to the year 0 BBY.
- ↑ 7.0 7.1
- ↑ Star Wars Customizable Card Game – Special Edition Limited (Card: R3-T2 (Arthree-Teetoo))