R3-T2 (Arthree-Teetoo) was an R3-series astromech droid who was the property of an abusive crew of pirates. By the year 0 BBY, it had escaped its owners and roamed the streets of the planet Tatooine's Mos Eisley spaceport, avoiding capture by its former masters.
Manufactured by the company Industrial Automaton, R3-T2 was one of the few R3-series astromech droids to avoid service aboard warships built during the Galactic Civil War. For many years, it was the property of an abusive crew of pirates based in Mos Eisley, a spaceport located on the planet Tatooine. Finally at the end of its electronic tether, R3-T2 managed to escape from its tormentors by 0 BBY and was a refugee from that day forth, constantly roaming the spaceport to avoid capture. Shortly before the Battle of Yavin, the droid was wandering the streets of Mos Eisley when it was passed by an X-34 landspeeder traveling to Chalmun's Spaceport Cantina.
Equipped with an Intellex V droid brain, R3-T2 had white plating with a red and blue trim and a black photoreceptor. Its former masters enhanced the astromech droid with an increased memory capacity, as well as special programming that made it equally capable of enhancing or sabotaging a starship's hyperdrive systems. Unlike most R3 units, R3-T2 did not have a clear plastex dome. Standing 0.96 meters in height, the droid was adapted for survival on Tatooine, a desert world.
Behind the scenesEdit
Originally created for the 1977 film Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope, R3-T2 was first identified by the 1998 Special Edition Limited expansion set for the Star Wars Customizable Card Game, a Star Wars Legends collectible card game published by Decipher, Inc. The packaging of the droid's 2006 Star Wars: The Saga Collection action figure erroneously claimed that "Its owner is still a mystery," despite the 2002 The Official Star Wars Fact File 11 having previously established that R3-T2 was formerly owned by the same crew of pirates first mentioned in its CCG biography.
- Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope (First appearance)
- Star Wars Customizable Card Game – Special Edition Limited (Card: R3-T2 (Arthree-Teetoo)) (First identified as R3-T2)
- The Official Star Wars Fact File 11 (AST3, Astromech Droids)
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.00 1.01 1.02 1.03 1.04 1.05 1.06 1.07 1.08 1.09 1.10 1.11 1.12 The Official Star Wars Fact File 11 (AST3, Astromech Droids)
- ↑ According to The New Essential Guide to Droids, astromech droids are classified as second-degree droids.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 3.5 3.6 3.7 Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope
- ↑ The New Essential Chronology dates the events of Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope to the year 0 BBY. As R3-T2 was seen wandering the streets of Mos Eisley during A New Hope, it can be assumed that it escaped its owners by 0 BBY.
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia, Vol. III, p. 70 ("R3-T2 (Arthree-Teetoo)")
- ↑ Star Wars: Complete Locations
- ↑ Star Wars Character Encyclopedia
- ↑ 9.0 9.1
- ↑ 10.0 10.1 Star Wars Customizable Card Game – Special Edition Limited (Card: R3-T2 (Arthree-Teetoo))