- "Now, what have we here? Hmm…Hey, haven't I seen you before? Seems like I'm always fixing this burnout!"
R5-D2, often referred to simply as R5, was a masculine R5-series astromech droid who served part of Star Tours' technical pool until he burnt out in a tour accident and had to have parts replaced by the maintenance droid G2-9T.
- "Now, was I supposed to weld that logic module positive to positive, or negative to negative? No, no, I'm positive it was negative to positive, absolutely positive."
- ―G2-9T tries to remember how to install a logic module into R5-D2
Around the year 21 BBY, R5-D2, often referred to simply as R5, was on the planet Ukio. Around 1 BBY, he served as a navigator in Star Tours' technical pool at Spaceport THX1138 until he burnt out on a routine flight and had to undergo repairs, including the replacement of his logic module, by the maintenance droid G2-9T in Tomorrowland Starport. However, due to the droid's low productivity, it was unknown how long it would take to fix R5-D2. In 4.3 ABY, he was still being repaired by G2-9T prior to the departure of Star Tours Flight 45 on an ill-fated flight to the Forest Moon of Endor.
- "Well, I was just wondering if you could tell me where this goes? See, I wasn't really online when they were programming us for logic repairs. Usually I can figure it out, but these old R5's are kinda built backwards, know what I mean? Heh! No, you don't know what I mean…"
- ―G2-9T asks for advice while attempting to repair R5-D2
R5-D2 was a masculine R5-series astromech droid, a low-cost model of the popular R-series astromech droid line manufactured by Industrial Automaton. He had white plating with a red trim, portions of which were battered and scorched black after the droid burnt out during a routine flight that necessitated him undergoing repairs, a pair of blue photoreceptors, and stood 1 meter in height.
Behind the scenesEdit
- "Keg-shaped droid damaged on routine flight. With G2-9T doing the repairs, who knows when he'll be back on the job."
- ―"R5"'s description in Complete Guide to Star Tours
R5-D2 was created for the 1987 Disney simulator ride theme park attraction Star Tours, where he was featured in the ride's queue at each of its locations, which included each of Disney's resorts excluding Hong Kong Disneyland and Shanghai Disney Resort. He first appeared in a 1986 Star Tours promotional film that aired on The ABC Sunday Night Movie. Although information on the droid was provided in Complete Guide to Star Tours, he was without a proper designation until an action figure of the droid designating him R5-D2 was released in 2003 as part of the Disney Parks exclusive Star Wars: Star Tours toy line.
- 1986 ABC Sunday Night Movie Disneyland Star Tours Promotion (First appearance)
- Complete Guide to Star Tours (As "R5")
- (First identified as R5-D2)
- "Star Tours: Taking Off on a Star Tour"—Star Wars Insider 104
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 The New Essential Guide to Droids
- ↑ 2.00 2.01 2.02 2.03 2.04 2.05 2.06 2.07 2.08 2.09 2.10 2.11 Star Tours
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 3.5 3.6 3.7 Complete Guide to Star Tours
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 Star Tours: The Adventures Continue
- ↑ Star Wars Annual 2011
- ↑ 6.0 6.1
- ↑ The Clone Wars: Act on Instinct
- ↑ The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia, Vol. III, p. 71 ("R5-D2")
- ↑ 1986 ABC Sunday Night Movie Disneyland Star Tours Promotion