|Chronological and political information|
R5-M2 (Arfive-Emmtoo) was an R5-series astromech droid owned by Rebel Alliance Captain Shawn Valdez, an evacuation officer assigned to Echo Base on the ice planet Hoth during the Galactic Civil War. R5-M2, specially programmed to plot sublight tactical courses for starships, played an extremely valuable role during the Battle of Hoth in 3 ABY by assisting Valdez in planning evacuation routes from Echo Base.
R5-M2, or Arfive-Emmtoo, was a member of the R5-series astromech droid line, which proved to be commercially unsuccessful but was nonetheless in high demand during the Galactic Civil War for use in combat starships. By early 3 ABY, R5-M2 was owned by and served alongside Rebel Alliance Captain Shawn Valdez, a popular and charismatic evacuation officer stationed at the Alliance High Command headquarters of Echo Base on the ice planet Hoth.
R5-M2 was present inside Echo Base's central hangar, chirping melodiously, when Rebel accessory Han Solo returned from conducting a routine scouting mission of the base's exterior with Commander Luke Skywalker, in which Skywalker ultimately went missing after falling prey to an ambush from a native wampa ice creature. The droid passed in front of Solo's path as the latter passed through the congested hangar.
During the Battle of Hoth days later, R5-M2 played a small but pivotal role in helping the Rebellion successfully evacuate Echo Base immediately in the face of overwhelming Imperial assault. R5-M2, who was specially programmed to plot sublight tactical courses for space travel, proved extremely valuable by coordinating plans, providing tactical support to Valdez, and planning evacuation routes from the base during the battle.
The astromech droid R5-M2 became but another droid who played an invaluable role in the Rebel Alliance's struggle against the Empire when the Rebellion effectively put R5-M2's special sublight course-plotting programming to good use during the Battle of Hoth. R5-M2 assisted in the Rebel escape from Hoth by planning evacuation routes from Echo Base.
Behind the scenesEdit
R5-M2 first appeared briefly in the 1980 film Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back as one of the many droid extras populating the Echo Base central hangar during the scene in which Han Solo first enters the base following his patrol of the Hoth wastelands with Luke Skywalker. The droid was later identified by number and given a brief role with the Rebels of Echo Base on the "R5-M2 (Arfive-Emmtoo)" card of the November 1996 Hoth Limited expansion set of the Star Wars Customizable Card Game.
- Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back (First appearance)
- Star Wars Customizable Card Game – Hoth Limited (Card: R5-M2 (Arfive-Emmtoo)) (First identified as R5-M2)
- Star Wars Encyclopedia
- Star Wars: The Action Figure Archive
- The Official Star Wars Fact File 37 (AST6, Astromech Droids)
- (Picture only)
- Star Wars: The Legacy Collection (Hoth Recon Patrol (Battle Pack))
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 1.6 1.7 Star Wars Encyclopedia
- ↑ The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia, Vol. III, p. 72 ("R5-M2(Arfive-Emmtoo)")
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 Star Wars Customizable Card Game – Hoth Limited (Card: R5-M2 (Arfive-Emmtoo))
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 The Official Star Wars Fact File 37 (AST6, Astromech Droids)
- ↑ Star Wars: The Legacy Collection (Hoth Recon Patrol (Battle Pack))