|R7-series astromech droid|
R7-series astromech droid
|Chronological and political information|
The R7-series astromech droid was an astromech droid produced by Industrial Automaton shortly after the Battle of Endor. The R7-series was designed specifically for use with the New Republic E-wing escort starfighter.
Development of the R7-series was a corporate secret, occurring during the media blitz that surrounded production of the R6-series astromech droid. The R7-unit featured two fixed, wheeled legs and a third retractable leg, and were heavily shielded against electrical discharges. These droids were primarily used onboard E-wing starfighters, and required significant modification to work effectively with X-wing or Y-wing starfighters. A typical R7 unit could hold up to fifteen hyperspace jump coordinates in its astrogation buffer and survive a near miss from an ion cannon.
Behind the scenesEdit
The astromech droid R7-A7 who features in the Clone Wars series has been designated as an R7-series droid. The Clone Wars Character Encyclopedia confirms that R7-A7 is indeed a prototype droid, but it is not explained if the droid is a prototype of the post-Battle of Endor R7 model.
R7-D4 has the name "R7," however, he was created prior to the release of the R7, creating a continuity error. However, the initial two symbols of a droids name do not always connote the model series, as they are part of a longer name, so this is possibly still accurate.
- Dark Empire (First appearance)
- Before the Storm
- Shield of Lies
- The New Rebellion
- Balance Point
- Edge of Victory I: Conquest
- Edge of Victory II: Rebirth
- Star by Star
- Dark Empire Sourcebook
- The Essential Guide to Droids
- Arms & Equipment Guide
- The New Essential Guide to Droids
- The Essential Guide to Vehicles and Vessels
- "The History of R-Series Astromech Droids"—Star Wars Adventure Journal 7
- Handbook 3: Dark Empire
- The Official Star Wars Fact File 39 (AST8, Astromech Droids)
- Starships of the Galaxy, Saga Edition
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia