The Raddaugh Gnasp fluttercraft, or Wookiee ornithopter, was a small patrol flier used by the Wookiees of Kashyyyk during the last decades of the Galactic Republic, and the early years of the Galactic Empire.
The fluttercraft was named after the predatory insects known as gnasps, which were native to the Wookiee colony moon of Alaris Prime. It was a compact twin-seated scout craft used to patrol the dangerous lower levels of the jungles of Kashyyyk, as well as for rescue missions. The vehicle had no armor and relied on speed and agility to avoid enemy fire, though it was fitted with a rear-mounted laser cannon operated by the vehicle's gunner.
The Raddaugh Gnasp was developed as a civil security patrol vessel, and was commonly used in recon missions and perimeter scans in the dangerous underbrush of Kashyyyk's forests. However, it was pressed into military service during the Clone Wars, and saw action during the Battle of Kashyyyk in 19 BBY.
Weeks later, they would be employed once more in the defense of the Wookiee homeworld, this time entering into combat against Imperial stormtroopers under the command of Darth Vader. Many fluttercrafts had been retrofitted with laser cannons following the initial departure of Imperial forces from the planet. This time, however, the Wookiees did not prevail, and the planet was enslaved.
Behind the scenesEdit
The Gnasp flier, or Wookiee ornithopter, was originally called the dragonfly helicopter during the concept phase. In developing Wookiee technology, it was decided it would be a mixture of finely crafted woodwork and polished tubing that resembled brass instruments.
The Wookiee ornithopter was built as a computer-generated model, but for a closeup shot of its tail gunner, a minimal full-size bluescreen mockup of the vessel's gunner seat was constructed at ILM to house a costumed Wookiee performer.
- Kinect Star Wars
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars novel (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith (First appearance)
- Star Wars: Republic: Hidden Enemy
- Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader
- Star Wars: The Force Unleashed (video game)
- LEGO Star Wars: The Video Game (cutscene only)
- LEGO Star Wars II: The Original Trilogy
- LEGO Star Wars: The Complete Saga
- The Clone Wars Campaign Guide
- Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith Incredible Cross-Sections
- Star Wars: Complete Cross-Sections