- "This is a precision job. Thermal vault will be on the lowest level. Down where it's warm. The only way we're going to pull this off if everybody plays their part. Stick to the plan. Do not improvise...Alright people, time to shine."
- ―Tobias Beckett to his crew
The raid on Kessel was an operation undertaken in 10 BBY by the criminal Tobias Beckett and his outlaw crew when they traveled to the spice mines of Kessel in an attempt to retrieve raw coaxium for the crime lord Dryden Vos of the Crimson Dawn crime syndicate. The crew was able to succesfully complete the mission and evaded Imperial forces that pursued them after the theft. As a result of the Imperial pursuit, Han Solo found a shortcut through the Akkadese Maelstrom and completed the Kessel Run in between twelve and thirteen parsecs, breaking the previous record.
Behind the scenesEdit
While figuring out the development of the Raid on Kessel, the film's crew revisited the Mission: Impossible film series because they wanted the sequence to have the kind of momentum and feeling of coordinated effort that the best sequences in those movies always have. Comparing Han Solo's personality to that of Ethan Hunt's, screenwriter Jon Kasdan realized that they were very different and that Han is much more a guy for whom things go best when he just does anything on his way through.
One of Kasdan's biggest regrets of the film was the deletion of a creature known as a Wapota, designed by Jake Lunt Davies, during the Raid on Kessel sequence. Conceived by former directors Phil Lord and Christopher Miller, the Wapota was an elephant-like beast of burden, fitted with an enormous burrowing drill over its face for tunneling which was to break loose from its restraints during the revolt and ended up chasing Han, Chewbacca and Sagwa as they escaped with the coaxium. An incredibly slow chase which included some great banter between Solo and Chewie, the idea was dropped in pre-production for its cost. Kasdan objected to its deletion but to no avail.
- Solo: A Star Wars Story (First appearance)
- Solo: A Star Wars Story: Meet the Crew (Indirect mention only)
- Solo: A Star Wars Story: Expanded Edition (Mentioned only)
- Solo: A Star Wars Story Read-Along Storybook and CD
- Solo Adaptation 5
- Star Wars 53: Hope Dies, Part IV (Indirect mention only)
- (First pictured)
- Solo: A Star Wars Story: Han on the Run
- (First identified as raid on Kessel)
- (Indirect mention only)
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.00 1.01 1.02 1.03 1.04 1.05 1.06 1.07 1.08 1.09 1.10 1.11 1.12 1.13 1.14 1.15 1.16 1.17 1.18 1.19 1.20 1.21 1.22 1.23 1.24 1.25 1.26 1.27 1.28 1.29 1.30 1.31 1.32 1.33 1.34 1.35 1.36 1.37 1.38 1.39 1.40 1.41 1.42 1.43 1.44 1.45 1.46 1.47 1.48 1.49 1.50 1.51 1.52 1.53 1.54 1.55 1.56 1.57 Solo: A Star Wars Story
- ↑ The timeline provided in Solo: A Star Wars Story The Official Guide places Han Solo's Kessel Run nine years after the events of Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith. As that film takes place in 19 BBY, we can deduce that the mission to Kessel and the subsequent Kessel Run took place in 10 BBY.
- ↑ Solo: A Star Wars Story The Official Guide