- "Kanan, we have a small situation here. If you'd care to blast one of those TIEs out of the galaxy, I don't think anyone would object."
- ―Hera Syndulla to Kanan Jarrus.
In 5 BBY, Hera Syndulla, Kanan Jarrus, and their C1 astromech droid Chopper raided an Imperial supply convoy. As they made their escape, they were pursued by four TIE/ln space superiority starfighters. The rebels managed to destroy each of the TIEs, successfully completing their mission.
Following the end of the Clone Wars, Emperor Palpatine transformed the Galactic Republic into the first Galactic Empire. Over the years, opposition towards the Empire manifested in the form of a growing rebellion consisting of various cells and factions. One of these cells were the Lothal rebels, a group led by the Twi'lek pilot Hera Syndulla and the former Jedi Padawan Kanan Jarrus which operated from the VCX-100 light freighter Ghost. They engaged in several operations including raiding Imperial facilities and supply convoys.
In 5 BBY, the Ghost raided an Imperial supply convoy. During the raid, the rebel crew consisted of Hera, Kanan, and the astromech droid Chopper. Following the raid, the Ghost was pursued by four TIE fighters. While Kanan manned the Ghost's turret cannon, Hera piloted the ship. In the ensuing dogfight, the TIEs gained the upper hand over the Ghost and managed to inflict damage on the ship's deflector shield. As the pursuit progressed, Kanan managed to shoot down two of the TIE fighters.
While Chopper complied with Hera's orders to repair them, the TIEs continued their assault and managed to knock out the Ghost's communication system. Unable to contact Kanan, Hera ordered Chopper to cease repairing the shields and restore the ship's communications. Chopper exited the cockpit and informed Kanan that he was working on the ship's communication system. However, Kanan contradicted Hera's orders by telling the droid to repair the shields and to tell Hera to "fly better."
Chopper then returned to the cockpit and relayed Kanan's message to Hera. Annoyed with Kanan, Hera decided to take the dogfight into her own hands. She managed to turn the ship around and shoot down one of the two remaining TIE fighters. Hera then ordered Chopper to tell Kanan to take out the last remaining TIE. However, by this stage, Chopper was frustrated with following contradictory orders and instead decided to take matters into his own hands. The astromech droid made his way to the Ghost's auxiliary ship Phantom and used the Phantom's laser cannons to destroy the last remaining TIE fighter.
Following the dogfight, Kanan and Hera complimented each other for destroying three of the TIE fighters. When Chopper entered the Ghost's cockpit, the two rebels thanked the droid for taking out the last TIE. As the Ghost entered hyperspace, Hera instructed Chopper to repair the ship's deflector shields and communication systems. By surviving this dogfight, the Ghost and her crew were able to continue resisting the Empire.
Behind the scenesEdit
The Raid on an Imperial supply convoy served as the basis for the plot of the Star Wars Rebels three-minute shot, "The Machine in the Ghost", which premiered both online and on Disney XD on August 11, 2014. This short was later adapted in other Rebels spinoff material including the young readers book Chopper Saves the Day and a short story in Michael Kogge's chapter book Rise of the Rebels.
- Star Wars Rebels – "The Machine in the Ghost"
- Chopper Saves the Day (First appearance, simultaneous with Concurrent with Rise of the Rebels)
- Rise of the Rebels (First appearance, simultaneous with Concurrent with Chopper Saves the Day)
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ Star Wars Rebels – "Art Attack"
- ↑ 2.00 2.01 2.02 2.03 2.04 2.05 2.06 2.07 2.08 2.09 2.10 2.11 2.12 2.13 2.14 2.15 2.16 2.17 Star Wars Rebels – "The Machine in the Ghost"
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 The events of this article take place in or between Star Wars Rebels: Spark of Rebellion, which takes place in the fifth year before the Battle of Yavin; and "Empire Day," which marks the beginning of the fourth year before the Battle of Yavin. As such, we can deduce that this event takes place in the fifth year before the Battle of Yavin. For more information, see Wookieepedia's Timeline of Star Wars Rebels Events.
- ↑ Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith
- ↑ Star Wars Rebels – "Call to Action"
- ↑ Star Wars Rebels: The Visual Guide