- "Have another skirmish with the Empire's finest did you?"
"Ask Kanan, the whole thing was his idea."
- ―Galus Vez and Hera Syndulla
During the early rebellion against the Galactic Empire, the rebel crew of the VCX-100 light freighter Ghost carried out a raid against an Imperial supply yard. The resulting battle caused damage to the Ghost, leading them to Osisis Station to acquire parts to repair the ship.
- "If you flew a little bit better we wouldn't have gotten damaged in the first place."
"Really? So says the guy whose idea it was to raid an Imperial supply yard and who couldn't hit a TIE fighter ten meters away."
"Hey, I got them all…eventually."
- ―Kanan Jarrus and Hera Syndulla discuss the raid
In the years prior to the Battle of Yavin, the rebel crew of the VCX-100 light freighter Ghost attacked a supply yard operated by the Galactic Empire, as part of their insurgency against the Imperial regime. The raid was planned by Kanan Jarrus, the leader of the rebels. The Ghost sustained damage during the raid, and Jarrus was, at first, unable to shoot down the TIE/ln space superiority starfighters that attacked the ship. With help from pilot Hera Syndulla and astromech droid C1-10P, however, the TIEs were ultimately shot down.
- "I could turn you all over to the Empire and earn a tidy profit, but because we go a long way, I'm going to give you a chance. We'll race each other in Fool’s Run. If I win, I take your ship and you lose everything. But if you win, you get your ship, the parts you need and you get to go on your merry way again."
- ―Galus Vez, to Hera Syndulla
To repair the damage to the Ghost, the crew headed for Osisis Station, a space station owned by a Besalisk parts dealer named Galus Vez in the Regani sector. Previous encounters with the rebels meant that the Empire had doubled its inspections on Osisis Station, so Vez made the rebels a deal: Syndulla would have to race Vez in an event called the Fool's Run. If Vez won, he would take the Ghost. If Syndulla won, however, then the crew could take the parts they needed. The two began the race, but Vez used a thruster on an asteroid to damage the Ghost. Syndulla won the race with help from Jarrus and his Jedi Padawan, both of whom used the Force to knock an asteroid towards Vez's Gauntlet fighter, the Splendour. Vez attempted to attack them for their victory, but the rebels fought back and overwhelmed Vez and his forces. As a result, Vez gave the crew the parts they needed to repair the Ghost.
Behind the scenesEdit
The raid was first mentioned in the canon comic strip "Ring Race" which was written by Martin Fisher. The strip was published in the first issue of the Star Wars Rebels Magazine series, which was released on January 28, 2015. When asked on Twitter whether the raid mentioned in the story was the same as the raid that appeared in the Star Wars Rebels short "The Machine in the Ghost," Fisher stated that the two events were one in the same and that the event from the short was the only reference he had for the animated series when he wrote the script for the comic. However, the events of the comic strip, including Ezra Bridger's presence, indicate that this raid had to have taken place after the events of Star Wars Rebels: Spark of Rebellion, in which Bridger joined the crew; whereas "The Machine in the Ghost" took place before Spark of Rebellion.
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.00 1.01 1.02 1.03 1.04 1.05 1.06 1.07 1.08 1.09 1.10 1.11 1.12 1.13 1.14 1.15 1.16 "Ring Race"—Star Wars Rebels Magazine 1
- ↑ It is unclear when in the story of Star Wars Rebels that this event takes place. However, because we know that Star Wars Rebels takes place several years before Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope, we can deduce that this raid takes place several years before the Battle of Yavin.
- ↑ screenshot) . "yes it is :) It was the only reference I had for the show when I wrote the script." (
- ↑ Star Wars Rebels: Spark of Rebellion
- ↑ "Star Wars Rebels Recounted"—Star Wars Insider 156