|Star Wars work|
|Other works of note|
- "Beyond the movies, his artwork has inspired at least two generations of younger artists—all of whom learned through Ralph that movies are designed. Like me, they were thrilled by his keen eye and creative imagination, which always brought concepts to their most ideal plateau. In many ways, he was a generous father to a conceptual art revolution that was born of his artwork, and which seized the imaginations of thousands and propelled them into the film industry. In that way, we will all be benefiting from his oeuvre for generations to come. Beyond that, I will always remember him as a kind and patient, and wonderfully talented, friend and collaborator."
- ―George Lucas
In addition to the Original Trilogy, he provided concept illustrations for Shadows of the Empire. He also provided the illustration of the Ark of the Covenant seen in a Bible near the beginning in George Lucas' Raiders of the Lost Ark.
In the 30th Anniversary toy series, McQuarrie's concept art is turned into actual action figures. Such figures include a concept Chewbacca, a concept Han Solo, a concept Darth Vader, a concept Starkiller hero (the precursor to Luke Skywalker), two separate releases of the concept stormtrooper and a concept snowtrooper.
Influence on the filmsEdit
- "There was an afternoon where we were all gathered, months after Ralph [McQuarrie] actually stopped coming, and George [Lucas] made a point of thanking Ralph in front of everyone. Ralph stood up and said, 'I was one of the first people that George hired,' because Ralph is an unbelievably humble man. George got up and said, 'No, you were the first one.'"
- ―Nilo Rodis-Jamero on McQuarrie's retirement from the production of Return of the Jedi
McQuarrie's artwork was such a strong influence on the look and feel of the original trilogy that some scenes from the films are virtually identical to the concept art provided by McQuarrie. An example of this can be seen below.
- The Secrets of Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire
- Remembering Ralph McQuarrie: Dreamer and Visionary
- Star Wars: The Ultimate Visual Guide
- Tomart's Price Guide To Star Wars Collectibles
- "The Art of Harrison Ellenshaw"—Star Wars Insider 140
- "Launch Pad"—Star Wars Insider 150