Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
- "The Ranger gunships will handle any of the smaller—what did you call them? Coralskippers?—while Rejuvenator takes out whatever base those barbarians have set up. It will be a clean sweep, I assure you, and then we can get on with the more important issues facing the New Republic."
- ―Commander Warshack Rojo
The Ranger-class gunship, also referred to as a Ranger gunship, was a type of starship designed by the Corellian Engineering Corporation and used by the New Republic's Defense Fleet in the Yuuzhan Vong War against the invading Yuuzhan Vong. Capable of destroying many starfighters with its dozens of laser batteries, the Ranger-class gunship saw action at Helska IV and Ord Mantell. One Ranger gunship, Justice, participated in an attack by the Galactic Alliance, the New Republic's successor state, on the Yuuzhan Vong–held Bilbringi system in 29 ABY.
The Ranger-class gunship, also known as the Ranger gunship, was designed by the Corellian Engineering Corporation and was armed with dozens of laser cannon batteries. The gunship also possessed engines and a hyperdrive, and a single individual commanded it.
The New Republic's Defense Fleet used the Ranger-class gunship to engage and eliminate groups of starfighters with its laser batteries, though it was also used by the New Republic and its successor state, the Galactic Alliance, in the arena of capital ships.
The Yuuzhan Vong War beginsEdit
"Newest and best."
- ―Han Solo and Leia Organa Solo discuss the Ranger-class gunship
Newly serving in the New Republic Defense Fleet as of 25 ABY, the Ranger-class gunship was, according to former New Republic Chief of State Leia Organa Solo, one of the best starships at that time. That year, the Praetorite Vong vanguard of the extra-galactic Yuuzhan Vong ventured into the Outer Rim Territories of the galaxy in what became the start of the Yuuzhan Vong War, making forays to the planets Sernpidal and Dubrillion and setting up a base on the ice world of Helska IV. In response, the New Republic dispatched a task force to eliminate the aggressors in the Helska system, led by the Imperial II-class Star Destroyer Rejuvenator—under the command of Commander Warshack Rojo—and featuring six Ranger-class gunships.
Rojo intended to have the Ranger-class gunships hold off the Praetorite Vong coralskippers while the Rejuvenator took care of the enemy base. However, although the initial engagement went well, the alien capabilities of the enemy forces soon overwhelmed the New Republic's task force, with the Rejuvenator going down and three of the Ranger-class gunships being destroyed, two of which were smashed into a large coralskipper when it used a gravity-manipulating dovin basal to suck them in. The remains of the task force retreated, and, though a successful counterattack was launched that saw the destruction of Helska IV and the Praetorite Vong base, the commanders of the surviving gunships opted to wait for additional reinforcements rather than joining the second strike.
Action at Ord Mantell and BilbringiEdit
Later in 25 ABY, five Ranger-class gunships took part in another New Republic task force that aimed to protect the planet Ord Mantell in the Bright Jewel system against an imminent Yuuzhan Vong attack. Hiding with the majority of the task force behind the star system's fifth planet, Quatin, the Ranger-class gunships and the other vessels ambushed the incoming Yuuzhan Vong fleet as it passed by. During the fighting, a pair of gunships dispatched dozens of coralskippers as they sought to outflank a Yuuzhan Vong warship. The Yuuzhan Vong were eventually driven out of the system, leaving the New Republic victorious.
In 29 ABY—by which time the New Republic had transitioned into the Galactic Alliance—the Ranger-class gunship Justice fought in a joint Galactic Alliance–Imperial Remnant attack on the Yuuzhan Vong–held system of Bilbringi. As the HoloNet that the allied forces were using for communications was taken down due to interference from Yuuzhan Vong drones, only Justice and a third of the planned attack force under Galactic Alliance General Wedge Antilles made it to Bilbringi. Despite facing a larger enemy contingent, Antilles managed to retreat from the system, though Justice was heavily damaged during the fighting.
Behind the scenesEdit
The Ranger-class gunship first appeared in the 1999 novel The New Jedi Order: Vector Prime, written by R. A. Salvatore as part of The New Jedi Order series. The gunship class later made appearances in two more The New Jedi Order installments, Agents of Chaos I: Hero's Trial and The Final Prophecy, released in 2000 and 2003, respectively. It also received a short entry in 2008's The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia and was mentioned in The Essential Guide to Warfare, released in 2012.
- The New Jedi Order: Vector Prime (First appearance)
- The New Jedi Order: Agents of Chaos I: Hero's Trial
- The New Jedi Order: The Final Prophecy
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 The Essential Guide to Warfare
- ↑ 2.00 2.01 2.02 2.03 2.04 2.05 2.06 2.07 2.08 2.09 2.10 2.11 2.12 The New Jedi Order: Vector Prime
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 The New Jedi Order: The Final Prophecy
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 The New Jedi Order: Agents of Chaos I: Hero's Trial
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 The Essential Reader's Companion
- ↑ The Essential Atlas
- ↑ The New Jedi Order: The Unifying Force places the Battle of Yuuzhan'tar nineteen days after the start of the novel, and the Battle of Esfandia—which occurs at the end of The New Jedi Order: Force Heretic III: Reunion—two months prior to the start of The Unifying Force. Thus, the Battles of Esfandia and Yuuzhan'tar are approximately three months apart. The Battle of Yuuzhan'tar occurs in 64:6, according to The Essential Atlas, so the Battle of Esfandia and the end of Reunion must therefore occur no earlier than 64:3, the first month of the year 29 ABY. Thus, The New Jedi Order: The Final Prophecy, which occurs between Reunion and The Unifying Force, must fall in 29 ABY, despite The Essential Reader's Companion placing it in 28 ABY.
- ↑ The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia, Vol. II, p. 183 ("Justice")