- "What's a rathtar?"
"You want the scientific description? They're big and dangerous and ugly."
- ―Rey and Han Solo
Rathtars were large, octopus-like creatures that slithered on land. They were highly dangerous creatures known for hunting in packs, and were involved in an incident known as the Trillia Massacre. They shared common ancestry with the sarlacc, blixus and vixus.
Biology and appearanceEdit
Rathtars had large, slug-like bodies, small brains, and long tentacle-like appendages. Much like their sarlacc relatives, rathtars were ravenous eaters, capable of consuming virtually anything that could fit into their mouths, which were funnel shaped and lined with rows of razor sharp teeth. Their throat distended outward into a hollow tongue, useful for swallowing struggling prey.
Another feature of rathtars was their rows of puce colored eyes on their backs. Rathtars had trouble distinguishing transparent objects, observed first when one attempted to attack Finn, Rey, and Han Solo through a containment window, and again when another attempted to eat them through the Millennium Falcon's cockpit shield.
Rathtars in the galaxyEdit
- "You're not hauling rathtars on this freighter, are you?"
"I'm hauling rathtars."
- ―Finn and Han Solo
At some point before the First Order–Resistance conflict, Rathars were involved in the event that came to be known as the Trillia Massacre in which many beings were killed and eaten by the creatures. Thirty years after the Battle of Endor, Han Solo transported three rathtars aboard his Baleen-class heavy freighter, the Eravana, though getting the creatures aboard cost Solo most of his crew. Solo was transporting the creatures to a collector, King Prana, who he said was in competition with the regent of the Mol'leaj system. When Han, Chewbacca, and BB-8 were confronted by Kanjiklub and the Guavian Death Gang, Rey and Finn were below the deck, listening. When it seemed like Han was in trouble, Rey proposed they close the blast doors on either side of Han and Chewie. Instead, Rey accidentally opened the wrong doors, unleashing the rathtars. The rathtars attacked and killed most of Kanjiklub and the Guavian Death Gang. Finn was grabbed by a rathtar and almost killed, but Rey saved him at the last second by closing a door on the tentacle holding Finn.
When Rey, Finn, and Solo boarded the Millennium Falcon to escape, a rathtar attached itself to the cockpit window. The Falcon entered hyperspace while the rathtar was still clinging to the ship, with the extreme acceleration ripping the rathtar apart.
- Darth Maul, Part I
- Han Solo, Part IV (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens (First appearance)
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens novel
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens: A Junior Novel
- The Force Awakens, Part II
- The Force Awakens, Part III
- Han & Chewie Return!
- LEGO Star Wars: The Resistance Rises – "The Trouble with Rathtars"
- LEGO Star Wars: The Resistance Rises – "Hunting for Han" (Mentioned only)
- LEGO Star Wars: The Force Awakens
- LEGO Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens (Set: 75180 Rathar Escape)
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens: Incredible Cross-Sections
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens: The Visual Dictionary
- Star Wars: Rey's Survival Guide
- Star Wars Character Encyclopedia: Updated and Expanded