- "See this wavy light around my body? It's a ray shield. Blaster fire can't get in or out. Neat, huh?"
A ray shield, a type of deflector shield, was a protective force field. There were two basic types of energy shields: ray shields, which absorbed radiation and blaster bolts and particle shields, which repulsed solid objects. Although ray shields could be used to defend planetary bases, they were more commonly associated with protecting starships from stellar radiation and enemy fire.
History and usageEdit
Many starships contained ray shields as a defense against laser weapons. They absorbed lasers like a sponge, and sometimes they even managed to deflect some. When a shield had taken too many hits, it simply burned out, and needed to be recharged.
Ray shields varied in size according to what they were protecting. Large capital ships such as an Imperial Star Destroyer had multiple arrays, and some wealthy systems even had planetary shields. Personal shields were on the other end of the spectrum: Jedi Kyle Katarn used one to protect himself during most of his battles, and Han Solo and Chewbacca used personal ray shields when they were gladiators in the Big Game.
In 19 BBY, Anakin Skywalker, Obi-Wan Kenobi, and the recently rescued Palpatine were captured by General Grievous in Hallway 328 of the Invisible Hand through the use of a ray shield to trap them in the middle of the hallway.
The Death Star's thermal exhaust port was protected by a ray shield, since a particle shield would prevent it from venting; therefore, Alliance proton torpedoes could penetrate it, a fact which was pivotal in the destruction of the battlestation.
- A Guide to the Star Wars Universe
- The Star Wars Sourcebook
- Galaxy Guide 3: The Empire Strikes Back
- Galaxy Guide 6: Tramp Freighters
- Star Wars: The Roleplaying Game, Second Edition (As "energy shield")
- Dark Force Rising Sourcebook
- Galaxy Guide 7: Mos Eisley (As "ray-shield")
- Dark Empire Sourcebook (As "energy shield")
- The Movie Trilogy Sourcebook (As "ray-shield")
- Death Star Technical Companion, Second Edition
- Galaxy Guide 6: Tramp Freighters, Second Edition
- Star Wars Sourcebook, Second Edition
- Star Wars: Power of the Jedi
- Star Wars Customizable Card Game – Hoth Limited (Card: Deflector Shield Generators)
- Star Wars Customizable Card Game – Hoth Limited (Card: The First Transport Is Away!)
- Star Wars Encyclopedia
- The New Essential Guide to Weapons and Technology
- Star Wars: The Ultimate Visual Guide
- The Official Star Wars Fact File 138 (DEF2, Deflector Shields)
- Star Wars Galaxies Trading Card Game – Champions of the Force (Card: Energy Shield)
- Star Wars Galaxies Trading Card Game – The Price of Victory (Card: Deflector Shield)
- Millennium Falcon Owner's Workshop Manual
- The Essential Guide to Warfare
- Star Wars: Edge of the Empire Core Rulebook
- Star Wars: Imperial Handbook: A Commander's Guide
- Strongholds of Resistance