The Rebel Alliance Starfighter Corps, also known as the Alliance Starfighter Corps was a starfighter unit of the Alliance to Restore the Republic. A unit made of Rebel pilots, they participated in many major battles such as the Battle of Yavin, the Battle of Hoth and the Battle of Endor during the Galactic Civil War. It was one of the Alliance's greatest assets.
Although a small, unorganized resistance against Imperial rule of the galaxy had existed since at least 18 BBY, the Starfighter Corps itself was not organized until 0 BBY or shortly prior. By this time, the Starfighter Corps had access to BTL-A4 Y-wing assault starfighter/bombers, T-65B X-wing starfighters, T-65C-A2 X-wings, and UT-60D U-wing starfighter/support crafts. These classes all served in the Mission to Eadu and the Battle of Scarif.
Shortly after the theft of the Death Star plans at Scarif, the Empire discovered the location of the Rebels' headquarters on Yavin 4, and deployed the massive battlestation to destroy the moon. The Rebels deployed a force of 22 X-wing starfighters and 8 Y-wings for a desperate assault on the space station's reactor, which was accessible through a thermal exhaust port located at the end of the meridian trench. Despite massive casualties and fierce Imperial resistance, a young pilot named Luke Skywalker used the Force to destroy the station with a pair of proton torpedoes. Out of the initial attacking force, only 2 X-wings and a single Y-wing survived the assault.
After the Battle of Yavin, the Starfighter Corps dramatically increased the size and diversity of its forces. The Alliance was able to provide Saponza's Gang with new starship classes including A/SF-01 B-wing starfighters, E-50 Landseers, Fang fighters, HWK-290 light freighters, LAAT/i gunships, RZ-1 A-wing interceptors, and Z-95 Headhunters.  Within a year, the Alliance had also acquired T-47 airspeeders, which would see action at the Battle of Vrogas Vas with Cyan Squadron.
In 3 ABY, the T-47s would famously prove their worth at the desperate Battle of Hoth. Although mainly used for pulling cargo sleds in the area surrounding Echo Base, a number of airspeeders served as effective atmospheric assault fighters.. The resourceful pilots of Rogue Squadron used their harpoons and tow cables to tangle the legs of Imperial AT-AT walkers, and then blasted them with their laser cannons in their weakened state. Wedge Antilles employed this tactic successfully. Thane Kyrell of Corona Squadron used a different approach, slicing off a walker's foot pad with the sharp wing edge of his airspeeder.
In 4 ABY, the Starfighter Corps struck a decisive blow to the Empire in the pivotal Battle of Endor. Under the command of General Lando Calrissian, the Corps led a desperate assault on the Death Star II. With Calrissian at the controls of the Millennium Falcon, the Rebels destroyed the new battlestation, while the redeemed Anakin Skywalker sacrificed his own life to destroy Darth Sidious.
In 5 ABY, the Starfighter Corps engaged the Imperial forces one last time at the Battle of Jakku, which saw the destruction of much of the Empire's fleet. The Galactic Concordance was signed during the battle, effectively bringing an end to the Galactic Civil War with an Imperial surrender. 
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens: The Visual Dictionary
- Star Wars: Complete Locations (First identified as Alliance Starfighter Corps)
- Star Wars Propaganda: A History of Persuasive Art in the Galaxy
- Star Wars: Rogue One: The Ultimate Visual Guide
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ Star Wars: Rogue One: The Ultimate Visual Guide
- ↑ Darth Vader 14: Vader Down, Part IV
- ↑ "Blade Squadron"—Star Wars Insider 149–150
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 4.4 Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi
- ↑ Vader Down, Part I
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 6.3 Shattered Empire, Part II
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 7.2 Lost Stars
- ↑ Darth Vader 13: Vader Down, Part II
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 9.2 9.3 9.4 9.5 9.6 9.7 Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope
- ↑ Star Wars: Complete Locations
- ↑ Darth Vader 12: Shadows and Secrets, Part VI
- ↑ Star Wars Battlefront: Rogue One VR mission
- ↑ 13.0 13.1 13.2 Star Wars: Episode V The Empire Strikes Back
- ↑ Star Wars: The Force Awakens: The Visual Dictionary
- ↑ Shattered Empire, Part I
- ↑ Aftermath
- ↑ 17.0 17.1
- ↑ Star Wars: Complete Locations
- ↑ Rogue One: A Star Wars Story
- ↑ Star Wars: Commander