Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
- "This R2 unit of yours seems a bit beat up. You want a new one?"
- ―The Rebel Crew Chief, to Luke Skywalker
The Rebel Crew Chief was a Human male engineer who worked at the Alliance to Restore the Republic's Great Temple base on Yavin 4 during the Galactic Civil War. Initially an employee of the Fresia-based Incom Corporation, the nationalization of that company by the Galactic Empire forced the crew chief and his co-workers to join the Rebellion. In his role with the Alliance, the chief spent many hours performing maintenance on T-65 X-wing starfighters and T-47 airspeeders.
The chief was initially an engineer working for the starship company Incom Corporation. During the Imperial Period, the Galactic Empire nationalized the Fresia-based corporation, forcing many workers, such as the engineer, to flee and join the Alliance to Restore the Republic. Like his former co-workers, he spent many hours performing maintenance on T-65 X-wing starfighters and T-47 airspeeders in the Alliance's service. Both types of craft had initially been made by the Incom Corporation. The engineer was eventually given the role of crew chief, began work as a technician, and was assigned to the Alliance's Great Temple base. on Yavin 4.
In 0 BBY, technical readouts to the Empire's new Death Star battlestation were brought to the Yavin base by Princess Leia Organa, and General Jan Dodonna devised a plan of attack. The attack would involve the T-65s, and so the chief performed maintenance on at least one of them before the battle. The T-65's pilot, Luke Skywalker, intended to use the droid R2-D2 as his astromech for the upcoming battle, but the chief noted that the droid did not look to be in the best of shape. He asked Skywalker whether he wanted a replacement, but the pilot objected, claiming that he and R2-D2 had been "through a lot together." Finishing his maintenance, the chief cleared Skywalker for liftoff. Skywalker would later go on to destroy the Death Star.
Personality and traitsEdit
When the company he worked for was nationalized by the government, the chief refused to stand by and let the Empire continue to rule, and so began serving the major Rebellion movement. He was prone, at least on one occasion, to judge a droid merely by its appearance, rather than its performance.
Behind the scenesEdit
The Rebel Crew Chief was portrayed by Shane Rimmer in George Lucas' Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope, although technically his first appearance was in Alan Dean Foster's novelization of the film. He also featured in Brian Daley's 1981 radio adaptation, and the third issue of Bruce Jones' 1997 comic adaptation.
The character was featured in the "Special Edition Limited" set of the Star Wars Customizable Card Game in 1998, wherein he was identified as an "Incom Engineer." Later, in the "A New Hope" set of the Star Wars Trading Card Game, he was identified as a "Rebel Crew Chief."
- Star Wars radio drama
- Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope novelization (First appearance)
- Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope junior novelization
- Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope
- Star Wars: A New Hope - The Special Edition 3
- Star Wars: Rogue Squadron II: Rogue Leader (Video clip only)
- Star Wars Customizable Card Game – Special Edition Limited (Card: Incom Engineer)
- Star Wars Trading Card Game – A New Hope (Card: Rebel Crew Chief) (First identified as Rebel Crew Chief)
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia, Vol. III ("Skywalker, Luke") (Picture only)
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 1.6 1.7 1.8 1.9 Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 Star Wars Customizable Card Game – Special Edition Limited (Card: Incom Engineer)
- ↑ Star Wars: Empire at War
- ↑ The New Essential Guide to Vehicles and Vessels
- ↑ Star Wars Trading Card Game – A New Hope (Card: Rebel Crew Chief)
- ↑ Star Wars radio