- "Red Group, this is Red Leader."
- ―Garven Dreis (Red Leader), during the Battle of Yavin
Red Squadron, also referred to as Red Group, was a starfighter squadron of X-wing starfighters that served as part of the Rebel Alliance's starfighter corps during the Galactic Civil War. The squadron participated in campaigns such as the Battle of Yavin and the Battle of Endor.
Battle of YavinEdit
Red Squadron participated in the Battle of Yavin under the command of Garven Dreis. X-Wings from Red Squadron made the second and third attack run on the Death Star's thermal exhaust port. Luke Skywalker, flying as Red Five, scored the critical hit during the third attack run, destroying the Death Star.
- Red Leader: Garven Dreis (KIA)
- Red Two: Wedge Antilles
- Red Three: Biggs Darklighter (KIA)
- Red Four: John D. Branon (KIA)
- Red Five: Luke Skywalker
- Red Six: Jek Porkins (KIA)
- Red Ten: Theron Nett (KIA)
Chasing after a PrincessEdit
Following the battle, the Alliance decided to evacuate their base on Yavin 4. Princess Leia Organa, along with rebel pilot and fellow Alderaanian Evaan Verlaine, decided to defy the orders of the Rebel leadership and set out on a mission to find and protect surviving Alderaanians from the Empire, The two remaining members of Red Squadron—Skywalker and Antilles-intercepted the shuttle they were in, and ordered them to turn back.
Battle of EndorEdit
Behind the scenesEdit
In the novelization of A New Hope, Luke Skywalker and Wedge Antilles flew for Blue Squadron. Their squadron was changed to Red Squadron when it was realized that blue markings on the ships would be replaced by moving starfield during bluescreen shots. Consequently, the name of the fighter group the novelization called Red Squadron was changed to Gold Squadron for the film.
- Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope (First appearance)
- Star Wars: Princess Leia, Part I
- The Weapon of a Jedi: A Luke Skywalker Adventure
- Star Wars: Vader Down, Part I
- Star Wars 22: The Last Flight of the Harbinger, Part II
- Star Wars Battlefront
- Lost Stars (Mentioned only)
- Moving Target: A Princess Leia Adventure (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi
- Star Wars: Shattered Empire, Part I (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars in 100 Scenes (First identified as Red Squadron)
- Ultimate Star Wars
- ; image nos. 1, 6, 9, 12 (of 15)