- "Red boys, this is Red Leader."
- ―Garven Dreis (Red Leader), during the Battle of Yavin
Red Squadron, also referred to as Red Group, was a starfighter squadron of X-wing starfighters that served as part of the Rebel Alliance's starfighter corps during the Galactic Civil War. The squadron participated in campaigns such as the Battle of Scarif, the Battle of Yavin and the Battle of Endor. Following the victory of the rebellion and the reformation of the Republic, Red Squadron was assimilated into the New Republic Starfleet.
Battle of ScarifEdit
- "Red and Gold Squadrons, attack formation. Defend the fleet."
- ―Admrial Raddus giving Red and Gold Squadrons their orders
Red Squadron participated in the Battle of Scarif along with Blue Squadron, Green Squadron, and Gold Squadron under Garven Dreis' command. X-wings assisted in engaging Imperial ships above the planet, combating TIE fighters and Imperial Star Destroyers with the rest of the Alliance fleet. During the battle, Pedrin Gaul, flying as Red Five, was killed.
- Red Leader: Garven Dreis
- Red Two: Unidentified X-wing pilot
- Red Three: Unidentified X-wing pilot
- Red Four: Unidentified X-wing pilot
- Red Five: Cadet Pedrin Gaul (KIA)
- Red Six: Jek Tono Porkins
- Red Seven: Cadet Harb Binli or Elyhek Rue
- Red Eight: Lieutenant Zal Dinnes
- Red Nine: Lieutenant Nozzo Naytaan
- Red Ten: Unidentified X-wing pilot
- Red Eleven: Major Ralo Surrel
- Red Twelve: Unidentified X-wing pilot
Battle of YavinEdit
- "All wings report in. — Red Ten standing by. — Red Seven standing by. — Red Three standing by. — Red Six standing by. — Red Nine standing by. — Red Two standing by. — Red Eleven standing by. — Red Five standing by."
- ―Red Squadron at the Battle of Yavin
Red Squadron participated in the Battle of Yavin under the command of Garven Dreis. X-Wings from Red Squadron made the second and third attack run on the Death Star's thermal exhaust port. Luke Skywalker, flying as Red Five, scored the critical hit during the third attack run, destroying the Death Star.
- Red Leader: Garven Dreis (KIA)
- Red Two: Wedge Antilles
- Red Three: Biggs Darklighter (KIA)
- Red Four: John D. Branon (KIA)
- Red Five: Luke Skywalker
- Red Six: Jek Tono Porkins (KIA)
- Red Seven: Either Elyhek Rue or Harb Binli (KIA)
- Red Eight: Zal Dinnes (KIA)
- Red Nine: Lieutenant Nozzo Naytaan (KIA)
- Red Ten: Theron Nett (KIA)
- Red Eleven: Ralo Surrel (KIA)
- Red Twelve: Puck Naeco (KIA)
Chasing after a PrincessEdit
Following the battle, the Alliance decided to evacuate their base on Yavin 4. Princess Leia Organa, along with rebel pilot and fellow Alderaanian Evaan Verlaine, decided to defy the orders of the Rebel leadership and set out on a mission to find and protect surviving Alderaanians from the Empire, The two remaining members of Red Squadron—Skywalker and Antilles-intercepted the shuttle they were in, and ordered them to turn back.
Battle of Vrogas VasEdit
Darth Vader, pursuing his son Luke in the aftermath of the Battle of Yavin, tracked him to the planet Vrogas Vas, where the Rebel Alliance had established a refueling base. He immediately encountered three squadrons of X-Wings, including Red Squadron. Vader destroyed the other two squadrons before colliding with Luke's X-Wing. Father and son both fell to the planet's surface, beginning the Battle of Vrogas Vas.
Battle of EndorEdit
- Red Leader: Commander Wedge Antilles
- Red Two: Unidentified Y-wing pilot
- Red Three: Sila Kott (KIA)
- Red Four: Unidentified X-wing pilot (KIA)
- Red Five: Grizz Frix (KIA)
Behind the scenesEdit
In the novelization of A New Hope, Luke Skywalker and Wedge Antilles flew for Blue Squadron. Their squadron was changed to Red Squadron when it was realized that blue markings on the ships would be replaced by moving starfield during blue screen shots. Consequently, the name of the fighter group the novelization called Red Squadron was changed to Gold Squadron for the film.
- Ultimate Star Wars (First identified as Red Squadron)
- Star Wars: Rogue One: The Ultimate Visual Guide
- Rogue One: Rebel Dossier
- Star Wars: On the Front Lines
- ; image nos. 1, 6, 9, 12 (of 15)
- ; image 7 (of 8)
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.00 1.01 1.02 1.03 1.04 1.05 1.06 1.07 1.08 1.09 1.10 1.11 1.12 1.13 1.14 1.15 1.16 1.17 1.18 1.19 1.20 1.21 1.22 Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 The Weapon of a Jedi: A Luke Skywalker Adventure
- ↑ Vader Down, Part I
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 4.4 4.5 4.6 4.7 4.8 Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi
- ↑ 5.00 5.01 5.02 5.03 5.04 5.05 5.06 5.07 5.08 5.09 5.10 Star Wars: Rogue One: The Ultimate Visual Guide
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 6.3 6.4 6.5 6.6 "Duty Roster"—From a Certain Point of View
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 7.2 7.3
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 8.2 8.3 "Grounded"—From a Certain Point of View
- ↑ 9.00 9.01 9.02 9.03 9.04 9.05 9.06 9.07 9.08 9.09 9.10 9.11 Rogue One: A Star Wars Story
- ↑ 10.0 10.1 10.2 10.3 10.4 Vader Down, Part I
- ↑ 11.0 11.1 11.2 11.3 11.4 Star Wars Battlefront
- ↑ Star Wars 25: The Last Flight of the Harbinger, Part V
- ↑ The Star Wars Rebels episode Secret Cargo reveals that the Alliance to Restore the Republic was formed in 2 BBY. Therefore Red Squadron must have been formed in or after the year 2 BBY.
- ↑ 14.0 14.1 14.2 14.3 14.4 14.5 Rogue One: Rebel Dossier
- ↑ Princess Leia, Part I