- "Red Group, this is Red Leader."
- ―Garven Dreis (Red Leader), during the Battle of Yavin
Red Squadron, also referred to as Red Group, was a starfighter squadron of X-wing starfighters that served as part of the Rebel Alliance's starfighter corps during the Galactic Civil War. The squadron participated in campaigns such as the Battle of Yavin and the Battle of Endor.
Battle of YavinEdit
- "All wings report in. — Red Ten standing by. — Red Seven standing by. — Red Three standing by. — Red Six standing by. — Red Nine standing by. — Red Two standing by. — Red Eleven standing by. — Red Five standing by."
- ―Red Squadron at the Battle of Yavin
Red Squadron participated in the Battle of Yavin under the command of Garven Dreis. X-Wings from Red Squadron made the second and third attack run on the Death Star's thermal exhaust port. Luke Skywalker, flying as Red Five, scored the critical hit during the third attack run, destroying the Death Star.
- Red Leader: Garven Dreis (KIA)
- Red Two: Wedge Antilles
- Red Three: Biggs Darklighter (KIA)
- Red Four: John D. Branon (KIA)
- Red Five: Luke Skywalker
- Red Six: Jek Porkins (KIA)
- Red Ten: Theron Nett (KIA)
Chasing after a PrincessEdit
Following the battle, the Alliance decided to evacuate their base on Yavin 4. Princess Leia Organa, along with rebel pilot and fellow Alderaanian Evaan Verlaine, decided to defy the orders of the Rebel leadership and set out on a mission to find and protect surviving Alderaanians from the Empire, The two remaining members of Red Squadron—Skywalker and Antilles-intercepted the shuttle they were in, and ordered them to turn back.
Battle of EndorEdit
- Red Leader: Wedge Antilles
- Red Two: Unidentified Y-wing pilot
- Red Three: Sila Kott (KIA)
- Red Five: Grizz Frix (KIA)
Behind the scenesEdit
In the novelization of A New Hope, Luke Skywalker and Wedge Antilles flew for Blue Squadron. Their squadron was changed to Red Squadron when it was realized that blue markings on the ships would be replaced by moving starfield during blue screen shots. Consequently, the name of the fighter group the novelization called Red Squadron was changed to Gold Squadron for the film.
- Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope (First appearance)
- Princess Leia, Part I
- The Weapon of a Jedi: A Luke Skywalker Adventure
- Vader Down, Part I
- Star Wars 22: The Last Flight of the Harbinger, Part II
- Star Wars Battlefront
- Lost Stars (Mentioned only)
- Moving Target: A Princess Leia Adventure (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi
- Shattered Empire, Part I (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars in 100 Scenes (First identified as Red Squadron)
- Ultimate Star Wars
- ; image nos. 1, 6, 9, 12 (of 15)
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.00 1.01 1.02 1.03 1.04 1.05 1.06 1.07 1.08 1.09 1.10 1.11 Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope
- ↑ Star Wars in 100 Scenes
- ↑ The Weapon of a Jedi: A Luke Skywalker Adventure
- ↑ Vader Down, Part I
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 5.3 5.4 5.5 5.6 Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2
- ↑ Princess Leia, Part I