Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
- "We lost a cruiser, the Redeemer."
- ―Anakin Skywalker
The Redeemer was a Venator-class Star Destroyer that served in the Galactic Republic Navy during the Clone Wars against the Confederacy of Independent Systems. In 22 BBY, the planet Ryloth was seized by the Separatists, and a large Confederate fleet under the command of Neimoidian Captain Mar Tuuk blockaded the planet. The Redeemer, along with the Venator-class Star Destroyers Resolute and Defender, was part of a Republic task force led by Jedi General Anakin Skywalker and his Padawan, Jedi Commander Ahsoka Tano, that was dispatched to eliminate the Confederate blockade.
Upon the arrival of Skywalker's fleet in the Ryloth system, Tuuk was able to lure the Republic forces into a trap. Tuuk summoned Confederate reinforcements, forcing Skywalker to order a retreat, but not before the Resolute and Defender had sustained damage. The Redeemer, however, broke apart in space under heavy fire.
Manufactured by Kuat Drive Yards, the Redeemer was a Venator-class Star Destroyer that served in the Republic Navy during the Clone Wars between the Galactic Republic and the Confederacy of Independent Systems. At 1,137 meters long, the Redeemer was armed with fifty-two laser cannons, eight DBY-827 heavy dual turbolaser turrets, two medium dual turbolaser cannons, four proton torpedo launchers, and six tractor beam projectors. The Redeemer was equipped with a hyperdrive and at least one shield generator. It also had eight engines.
- "Our blockade is impenetrable. When the Republic attacks, they will get quite a surprise."
- ―Captain Mar Tuuk, on his trap for Skywalker's task force
In 22 BBY, the planet Ryloth was invaded by the Techno Union Foreman and Separatist Council member Wat Tambor, and its Twi'lek populace was subjugated to a harsh rule. Tambor also blockaded the planet and placed the Neimoidian Captain Mar Tuuk in charge of the Confederate fleet. In response, the Republic dispatched Jedi General Anakin Skywalker and his Padawan, Jedi Commander Ahsoka Tano, to breach the Confederate blockade and make way for Republic invasion forces—under the command of Jedi Masters Obi-Wan Kenobi and Mace Windu—to land and liberate the planet. The Redeemer, along with the Venator-class Star Destroyers Defender and Resolute, was assigned to Skywalker's task force, while Admiral Wullf Yularen accompanied Skywalker aboard the Resolute.
When the Redeemer and the rest of Skywalker's task force arrived out of hyperspace in the Ryloth system, the Republic battle group immediately engaged the Confederate blockade. Tano led Blue Squadron—a V-19 Torrent starfighter squadron—on an attack run on Tuuk's Lucrehulk-class battleship and the two Munificent-class star frigates flanking it. The Redeemer and the other two Venator-class cruisers remained behind and provided heavy support fire. Blue Squadron managed to cut a path through the Confederate Vulture droid starfighters to Tuuk's command ship; however, Tuuk summoned four more Munificent-class frigates to support his fleet. The Confederate reinforcements opened fire upon the Republic task force, causing heavy damage to all three Star Destroyers.
With the Republic fleet outnumbered, Yularen ordered a full retreat from the system, and called Tano and her squadron back to the Resolute to give fighter cover. However, Tano disobeyed orders, believing that she could reach Tuuk's flagship and break the blockade. Without Tano's assistance, the Redeemer and the other two Star Destroyers sustained heavy damage from Vulture droid suicide attacks. After losing most of Blue Squadron, Tano returned to the Republic fleet, and the Defender and the Resolute were able to retreat to hyperspace. However, the Redeemer had taken too much damage and broke apart in space.
Skywalker was eventually able to break the Confederate blockade during his second assault. The destruction of the blockade allowed Kenobi and Windu's ground forces to land and recapture Ryloth.
Behind the scenesEdit
The Redeemer appeared in "Storm Over Ryloth," the nineteenth episode in the first season of the Star Wars: The Clone Wars television series. The Redeemer was destroyed later in that episode. It was also mentioned in The Battle for Ryloth, a young readers book based on the episode.
- The Clone Wars: The Battle for Ryloth (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Storm Over Ryloth" (First appearance)
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Jedi Crash" (Appears in flashback(s))
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Landing at Point Rain" (Appears in flashback(s))
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 1.6 1.7 1.8 Venator-class Star Destroyer technical specifics — Based on standard
- ↑ 2.00 2.01 2.02 2.03 2.04 2.05 2.06 2.07 2.08 2.09 2.10 2.11 2.12 2.13 2.14 Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Storm Over Ryloth"
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 The Essential Reader's Companion dates the Star Wars: The Clone Wars film to 22 BBY, while The Official Star Wars Fact File Part 8 (22 BBY 101–102, Spying for the Senate) dates "Senate Spy" to late 22 BBY. Since places "Storm Over Ryloth" between The Clone Wars film and "Senate Spy," it can be concluded that "Storm Over Ryloth" also takes place in 22 BBY.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Innocents of Ryloth"
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Liberty on Ryloth"