Though naturally herbivores, a starved reek could become a ravenous meat-eater and change its skin color to a deep red, while on other worlds they could be brown, gray, or sometimes yellow. Those bred in the Petranaki arena were purposely fed meat in order to increase their overall aggression. Their sprawling posture and immense weight made them relatively slow-moving. They sported two large cheek horns that could be used for head-locking in combat with another Reek as a show of dominance.
They also inhabited the Codian Moon, where they lived in small herds. The creatures existed on Saleucami as well, where one was ridden by General Grievous, leader of the Separatist Droid Army during the battle of Saleucami.
A reek was used in the attempted execution of Anakin Skywalker in the Petranaki arena just prior to the Clone Wars. Anakin, however, managed to tame the creature with the Force and break his chains before directing it against a nexu attacking Padmé Amidala, killing the smaller predator with a ramming attack. The reek then separated from the Jedi when a battle erupted in the arena, destroying droids with impunity and losing one of its cheek horns to Mace Windu before attacking Jango Fett. Though Fett was able to avoid being trampled by the creature and killed it with a single expertly-aimed shot to the eye, it damaged his jetpack and led to his own death moments later by Windu's blade.
Behind the scenesEdit
Reeks first appeared in Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones.
They are very similar to real-life rhinoceros and they share much of their biology: they are herbivores but are still aggressive if provoked, they are massive animals with heavy skin and horns used as weapons, their main tactic is charge the enemies, they have poor eyesight but a strong sense of smell and they live in herds. They are also approximately the same size of white rhinoceros although rhinos are much heavier.
There is a contradiction regarding the creature's height. Both the Encyclopedia and Databank entries agree that these creatures stood at about 2.24 meters tall. However, the later Star Wars Journeys: Beginnings claims that they stood at 4.04 meters in height. As 4.04 meters is the listed length of reeks in the Star Wars Legends continuity, however, Beginnings may have mistakenly listed the creature's length as its height.
- Star Wars Journeys: Beginnings
- Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones (First appearance)
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Landing at Point Rain" (Indirect mention only)
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Deserter"
- Catalyst: A Rogue One Novel
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Padawan Lost" (Head only)
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Wookiee Hunt" (Head only)
- Battlefront II: Inferno Squad (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars 35: The Hutt Run (Mentioned only)
- Ultimate Factivity Collection: Star Wars
- Journey Through Space
- Ultimate Star Wars
- Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know
- The Force Awakens: Head-to-Head
- Star Wars Character Encyclopedia: Updated and Expanded
- Star Wars: Complete Locations
- Star Wars: The Visual Encyclopedia
- Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know, Updated and Expanded
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 Star Wars Character Encyclopedia: Updated and Expanded
- ↑ The Force Awakens: Head-to-Head
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Star Wars Journeys: Beginnings
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 Ultimate Factivity Collection: Star Wars
- ↑ Journey Through Space
- ↑ Star Wars: Absolutely Everything You Need to Know
- ↑ Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Deserter"