The reek was a large thick-skinned, horned, rhino-esque quadruped, native to Ylesia. Subspecies could be found on Iridonia, Kashyyyk and Ithor. They could also be found in ranches on the Codian Moon, Tatooine, and Saleucami.
Biology and appearanceEdit
Reeks were even-toed ungulates, herbivores by nature, but they were often fed meat for exhibition sport and executions. This turned their leathery skin a dark red and made the reeks much more aggressive. Reeks could not thrive on meat, so they were given just enough plant matter to keep them healthy. This method was used by the Geonosians for their Execution Arena reeks. One in particular was about to execute Jedi Anakin Skywalker, but was briefly tamed by the Jedi with the help of the Force and was later shot in the head and killed by Jango Fett. Yet another reek was tamed for General Grievous to ride on after his ship was shot down and crashed on the planet Saleucami.
All reeks, including subspecies, were normally brown in color and only changed depending on their diet.
Reeks were usually found in herds and resided in the mossy grasslands of Ylesia. They were very protective of their herds, fighting violently with intruders using their horns.
Reek were commonly exported to other worlds, causing them to adapt and become subspecies.
Another subspecies was the Iridonian reek. Reeks attracted the attention of the Zabrak when they developed interstellar travel. They saw reeks as excellent candidates for war mounts. Soon after, they were exported to Iridonia to be bred. Instead of giving them a meat diet, the Iridonian reeks were given a natural diet consisting of plant matter to keep them fierce and strong with natural vigor, and also turned a reek's skin gray. Adapted to Iridonia, their skin could resist sharp and blunt weapon attacks during battle. The Iridonian reek's horns were much sharper and longer than other reeks and were also decorated with tattoos similar to the tattoos a Zabrak was adorned with. Iridonian reeks were encouraged to fight for mates, making them less likely to buck or bolt in battle.
As the Zabrak advanced, the use of reeks in war declined. However, riding war mounts was still taught in most Iridonian military schools.
One subspecies, the Ithorian reek, was exported to Ithor. Their yellow skin color was attributed to their diet consisting of yellow flora and bafforr trees. They were used as plow animals by the Ithorians and were larger and stronger than those found on Ylesia. Their horns were also smaller because of the lack of hostility between reeks. Males and females were separated to reduce competition and to isolate mating periods.
The Ithorian reeks were wiped out during the Yuuzhan Vong War.
A highly uncommon subspecies was the Kashyyykian reek, also known as a ryyk to the Wookiees. The reeks on Kashyyyk died off as a majority due to the climate change and the predators, however, a select few did survive and then learned to thrive. The adaptations required to do so made the Kashyyykian reeks a much larger size than their cousins. Their horns became narrower, but longer and stronger, and there were one or two examples of the development of poisons beginning to be secreted at the tips.
Behind the scenesEdit
The initial designs of the reek were inspired by Placerias, a stout, four-legged tusked species from the Triassic era. As the designs evolved, it began to take on more rhino-like characteristics. Concept sculptor Michael Patrick Murnane was most responsible for developing the reek's final look in a very detailed concept maquette.
They are very similar to real-life's rhinoceros and they share many of their biology: they are herbivores but still aggressive if provocated, they are massive animals with heavy skin and horns used as weapons, their main tactic is charge the enemies and they live in herds. They are also aproximatly the same size of white rhinoceros although rhinos are much heavier.
The creature's tall central horn came out of specific performance requirements George Lucas needed—Anakin Skywalker was to wrap his chains around the reek's horn when trying to control it.
- Star Wars: The Old Republic
- Star Wars: The Old Republic: Rise of the Hutt Cartel
- Star Wars: The Old Republic: Galactic Strongholds (Picture only)
- Star Wars: The Old Republic: Knights of the Eternal Throne
- Darth Plagueis (Mentioned only)
- Boba Fett: The Fight to Survive
- Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones (First appearance)
- Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones novelization
- Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones junior novel
- Star Wars: Episode II — Attack of the Clones 4
- "The Lesson"—Star Wars Tales 14
- Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds: Clone Campaigns
- MedStar II: Jedi Healer (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Landing at Point Rain" (Indirect mention only)
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Deserter"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Padawan Lost" (Head only)
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Wookiee Hunt" (Head only)
- Labyrinth of Evil (Mentioned only)
- Coruscant Nights I: Jedi Twilight (Mentioned only)
- Coruscant Nights II: Street of Shadows (Mentioned only)
- Death Star (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars Adventures: Han Solo and the Hollow Moon of Khorya
- Rebel Force: Target
- Rebel Force: Renegade (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars Galaxies: An Empire Divided
- The New Jedi Order: Traitor (Mentioned only)
- Legacy of the Force: Invincible (Mentioned only)
- Fate of the Jedi: Omen
- Star Wars: Attack of the Clones The Visual Dictionary (First mentioned)
- Star Wars Trading Card Game - Attack of the Clones (TCG) (Card: )
- The Official Star Wars Fact File 104 (GEO11-12, Reek)
- Star Wars: The Official Figurine Collection 20
- Star Wars: The Complete Visual Dictionary
- The New Essential Guide to Alien Species
- "The Toughest Ever Creatures"—Star Wars Insider 102
- The Art of Star Wars: The Clone Wars
- Star Wars: The Official Starships & Vehicles Collection 25
- "50 Great Reasons to Rewatch Star Wars: The Clone Wars Season Three"—Star Wars Insider 125
- Star Wars: Head-to-Head Tag Teams
- Star Wars Character Encyclopedia
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars The Complete Season Three
- Star Wars: The Old Republic Explorer's Guide
- Star Wars: Obi-Wan Kenobi, Jedi Knight
- Star Wars: Force Collection (Card: Reek)
- Star Wars: The Adventures of C-3PO (Picture only)