Rennek was a Human male who, by 4 ABY, worked as a nerf herder for Tatooine-based crime lord Jabba the Hutt. In that year, he was present in the audience chamber of Jabba's desert palace when the droids C-3PO and R2-D2 arrived to free their master Luke Skywalker's ally Han Solo, who was being held prisoner by the Hutt. Rennek later witnessed Rebel Alliance leader Leia Organa arriving at the palace with the same intentions of freeing Solo from captivity.
The Human male Rennek lived during the Galactic Civil War, a conflict fought between the Alliance to Restore the Republic and Galactic Empire. By the year 4 ABY, he had found employment as a nerf herder for crime lord Jabba the Hutt on the planet Tatooine and personally oversaw the herding of Jabba's nerfs.
In 4 ABY, Rennek was in the audience chamber of Jabba's desert palace when the droids R2-D2 and C-3PO arrived on behalf of their master, Luke Skywalker, to free his ally Han Solo, who was frozen in carbonite and hung on display within the palace. During the incident, Rennek and others within the courtroom witnessed the Hutt drop the slave dancer Oola into the pit of his captive rancor.
Rennek was still in the audience chamber when Alliance leader Leia Organa, in the disguise of the bounty hunter Boushh, also arrived with the Wookiee Chewbacca as her alleged "prisoner," ostensibly to bargain for the bounty on Chewbacca's capture. Organa threatened to destroy the palace with a thermal detonator if the Hutt did not comply with her demands. After winning Jabba's favor, Organa later freed Solo—the true reason she had arrived at the palace—and attempted to escape with him; however, both were caught and subsequently imprisoned.
Personality and traitsEdit
Despite his scruffy appearance, Rennek was a lethal combat expert with an expertise in unusual combat techniques, and was able to defeat the toughest of Jabba's Gamorrean guards—attributes not reflected by his trifling assignment as the Hutt's nerf herder. When Oola was eaten by the rancor, Rennek joined others in the courtroom in laughing at the dancer's fate. He had dark skin, black hair and brown eyes.
Behind the scenesEdit
Rennek made his first appearance as an extra in the Jabba's Palace scenes of 1983's Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi. He was first identified by name in the Jabba's Palace Limited expansion set of the Decipher, Inc. Star Wars Customizable Card Game. According to a Star Wars CCG fan site, Rennek was named as an anagram of Kenner, a toy line responsible for various Star Wars media.
- Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi (First appearance)
- "Lapti Nek" The Music Video from Jabba's Palace
- Star Wars Customizable Card Game – Jabba's Palace Limited (Card: Rennek) (First identified as Rennek)
- Star Wars: Behind the Magic (Picture only)
- Rebellion Era Sourcebook (Picture only)
- "Who's Who in Jabba's Palace"—Star Wars Insider 60
- Inside the Worlds of Star Wars Trilogy (Picture only)
- Star Wars: Complete Locations (Picture only)
- (Picture only)
- (Video clip only)
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 1.6 1.7 1.8 1.9 Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Rebellion Era Sourcebook
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 Star Wars Customizable Card Game – Jabba's Palace Limited (Card: Rennek)
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 The New Essential Chronology
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 "Who's Who in Jabba's Palace"—Star Wars Insider 60
- ↑ Anagramed Decipherians. Corellian Engineering Corporation. ReoCities (2005-08-15). Retrieved on May 9, 2014.