The Republic Dark Age was the term given to the last century of the New Sith Wars, from around 1100 BBY to the Ruusan Reformation of 1000 BBY. During the Dark Age, the Republic, in the eyes of later centuries, had essentially ceased to exist.
Since the start of the Draggulch Period in 2000 BBY, the Republic had been in decline. During the series of conflicts known as the New Sith Wars, thousands of worlds were abandoned to the New Sith Empire, while more were abandoned during the Republic's retreat. Thousands of longstanding corporations went bankrupt; lawlessness spread as the Republic government became increasingly overburdened and ineffectual; and numerous mines of valuable minerals dried up. The collapse escalated following the Sith victory at the Battle of Mizra in 1466 BBY.
However, all these events were merely a prelude to the Dark Age. The Senate granted almost all of its authority to the Supreme Chancellor, many of whom were Jedi at that point, such as Jedi Master Genarra. Throughout the galaxy Jedi joined in bands to defend individual worlds, and even regions of space, from Sith, pirates, slavers and warlords. In some regions, the Jedi supported existing governments, though in others, Jedi became rulers themselves in order to protect the population from external threats. The more troubled regions of the galaxy were divided by the Supreme Chancellors into Jedi baronial sectors, in an attempt to coordinate the continuing war against the Sith. Although the unity of the Sith seems to have been broken by infighting, and the ongoing conflict was officially portrayed as merely a series of clashes against an illegal organization, the situation wore down the Republic Navy and Army, which likewise fell under increasing Jedi control.
The Republic could no longer afford to maintain the HoloNet beyond the Core Worlds, so communications between worlds outside the Core had to be maintained through couriers. Even worse, a galaxywide epidemic of Candorian plague killed off as much as two-thirds of the population of some worlds.
As already noted, it seems that the threat from the Sith may have been much diminished compared with previous centuries, but at the end of this period, around 1010 BBY, Lord Kaan reorganized the feuding Sith into the Brotherhood of Darkness, and embarked on the last of the New Sith Wars, sometimes known as the Light and Darkness War. Republic forces led by commanders like Hoth, a Jedi Master and General, won some notable victories, initially driving Kaan's forces from their stronghold in the Cloak of the Sith, but the Sith reconquered their ancient capital on Korriban, and also struck deep into the Core Worlds.
For the final two or three years of the war, however, much of the attention of the Jedi and Sith was focused on the planet Ruusan, near Kashyyyk, where the entire Brotherhood of Darkness fought the Jedi who Hoth had formed into the Army of Light in a protracted series of engagements.
Timeline of the Republic Dark AgeEdit
- 1066 BBY
- 1050 BBY
- 1042 BBY
- 1040 BBY
- 1032 BBY
- Operation: Influx takes place.
- Jedi Knight Kerra Holt carries out a personal campaign against warring Sith Lords Daiman and Odion.
- Chelloa's surface is destroyed but planet's population is evacuated by the Freedom Fleet.
- Battle of Gazzari ends in the invasion and collapse of the Bactranate.
- Arkadianate annexes the Dyarchy world of Byllura.
- Siege of Calimondretta occurs when Kerra and Brigadier Jarrow Rusher escape from the Arkadianate capital of Syned.
- Three-way Aquilaris campaign occurs; resulting in the Great Aquilaris Deluge.
- Hutt lord Zodoh's invasion of Sith territory is defeated at the Battle of Darkknell.
- Odion resumes Project Pandemonium and succeeds in capturing the Helm of Ieldis on Skarpos.
- Odion's apocalyptic bid for galactic domination ends with his death at the Battle of Vanahame.
- Odionate collapses and is divided up among his relatives; liberation of Odionate cloister child inmates.
- 1010 BBY
- c. 1004 BBY (campaigns of Lord Hoth)
- 1002 BBY
- 1001 BBY–1000 BBY
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 The New Essential Chronology
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 2.5 Knight Errant (novel)
- ↑ Star Wars: Knight Errant: Aflame 2
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Star Wars: Knight Errant: Escape 4
- ↑ 5.0 5.1
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 Star Wars: Knight Errant: Aflame 1
- ↑ Star Wars: Knight Errant: Aflame 5
- ↑ Star Wars: Knight Errant: Deluge 1
- ↑ Star Wars: Knight Errant: Deluge 4
- ↑ Star Wars: Knight Errant: Deluge 5
- ↑ 11.0 11.1 Star Wars: Knight Errant: Escape 5
- Star Wars: Knight Errant
- Jedi vs. Sith (First appearance)
- Star Wars: Darth Plagueis (Mentioned only)
- The New Essential Chronology (First mentioned)
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia
- The Essential Atlas
- The Jedi Path: A Manual for Students of the Force
- Essential Atlas Extra: The Knight Errant Gazetteer