|Republic Domestic Security|
- "Standing procedure says we're obliged to refer the matter to law enforcement."
"I'll call CSF, then. Just to square the books."
"No, ma'am, it's Republic Domestic Security for any breach like this involving civil servants. The head of staff security has alerted them."
- ―Tech droid Jay and Besany Wennen
Republic Domestic Security (RDS) was a domestic law enforcement agency for the Galactic Republic, formed by Supreme Chancellor Palpatine at the end of the Clone Wars between the Republic and the Confederacy of Independent Systems. The RDS reported directly to the Office of the Supreme Chancellor and was notably separate from the Coruscant Security Force. The agency was charged with handling all breaches in security by civil servants. At their headquarters, the RDS conducted interrogations and held prisoners unless they were transferred to Republic Intelligence for further questioning. In 19 BBY, Republic Treasury Audit Division Agent Jilka Zan Zentis was arrested by the RDS for illegally copying and removing data from Treasury computers. However, the information was planted, and Zentis was later freed by members of the Skirata Clan.
- "The suspect—this tax clerk the RDS is holding. The Chancellor can set up as many internal enforcement agencies as he wishes, but I have no faith in anyone's interrogation ability but my own. I'd like to talk to her."
"Good luck, I'm just the Director of Special Forces. My wishes count for nothing."
"Exactly. So RDS won't share information with us any more freely than Intel does, so I'm planning to stroll over there and extract her if need be."
- ―Sergeant Vau and Jedi General Zey
Republic Domestic Security (RDS) was a Galactic Republic domestic law enforcement agency that operated toward the end of the Clone Wars between the Republic and the Confederacy of Independent Systems. The agency was commissioned by Supreme Chancellor Palpatine and separate from the Coruscant Security Force and the civilian police structure on the galactic capital planet of Coruscant. Instead, it reported directly to the Office of the Supreme Chancellor and was charged with ensuring the security of the Republic's closest secrets from any electronic breach by civil servants. To that end, they worked closely with Republic Intelligence. The RDS also had their own prison facilities.
In the year 19 BBY, the RDS arrested Republic Treasury Audit Division Agent Jilka Zan Zentis for illegally copying and removing data from Treasury computers. However, the evidence against Zentis had been planted to divert attention from Agent Besany Wennen, who was gathering information for Grand Army of the Republic Sergeant Kal Skirata. Skirata and his clan had been tracking information on Palpatine's clone trooper deployments and were securing funds to flee the Republic. When Wennen told them that Zentis had been arrested, they made plans to free her. Posing as a Republic Intelligence officer, ARC Captain Ordo arranged for Wennen to be transferred to Republic Intelligence custody. When the prison transport speeder left the RDS facility, Sergeants Wad'e Tay'haai and Walon Vau, along with Ordo, ambushed the transport midair, forcing it to land, and freed Zentis from the RDS agents. With the formation of the Galactic Empire, the duties of the RDS were given to the Imperial Security Bureau.
Behind the scenesEdit
Republic Domestic Security first appeared in Order 66: A Republic Commando Novel, written by Karen Traviss and published on May 19, 2009. To date, the novel has been its only appearance in Star Wars canon.
- Order 66: A Republic Commando Novel (First appearance)
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 1.6 1.7 1.8 Order 66: A Republic Commando Novel
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 This article assumes that the RDS was dissolved with the formation of the Empire due to the fact that the RDS makes no further appearance in Star Wars material set during the time frame after the formation of the Empire; that the RDS is listed only as a Republic, not Imperial, agency; and that according to Imperial Commando: 501st during the Empire, the responsibilities of the RDS were handled by the Imperial Security Bureau.
- ↑ Imperial Commando: 501st