The Resistance Starfighter Corps was the Resistance's primary means of aerospace attack and defense. Approximately thirty years after the Battle of Endor, the Corps most notably engaged with the forces of the First Order during the Battle of Takodana and later the Battle of Starkiller Base.
The Starfighter Corps served as the Resistance's primary means of naval space attack and defense, with capital ships nearly impossible to acquire following New Republic demilitarization efforts. As a result, the Resistance had few capital ships.
The Starfighter Corps combat missions typically broke the squadron into paired fighter elements, consisting of a lead and a wingman. During the Corps stay on D'Qar, the Resistance maintained two primary X-wing squadrons codenamed Red Squadron and Blue Squadron. Blue Squadron served as the primary defensive force for the then Resistance base, while Red Squadron served as support. Leading both squadrons was Poe Dameron as Black Leader in his specialized X-wing, Black One.
The youngest and brightest of the Resistance military typically filled out the ranks of the Starfighter Corps, with many of them recruited from local planetary defense forces. Tending to be high spirited, idealistic and closely-knit together, these 'victory kids' were both proud of their service and eager for action. Despite this, veteran pilots such as Poe Dameron and Nien Nunb flew as part of the Corps, bringing years of tactical experience to both inspire and train the next generation of pilots.
Resistance pilots wore standard 'interstellar orange'-colored piloting jumpsuit and were equipped with basic survival equipment when piloting their starfighters. A single box-shaped FreiTek life support unit was attached to their chest, while four signal flares in a bandolier strapped onto their knee helped increase their chances of survival. In addition, they also wore a white, inflatable flight vest and ejection harness. Additionally, they wore padded flight gauntlets and an insulated flight helmet, along with a Guidenhauser flight harness.
Resistance pilots normally flew in T-70 X-wing fighters, although the Resistance also utilized Resistance transports for ferry troops and personnel. At least 1 pilot, L'ulo L'ampar, flew an RZ-1 A-wing interceptor early on in the cold war. Tallissan Lintra flew an RZ-2 A-wing starfighter.
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens: The Visual Dictionary
- Star Wars: On the Front Lines (First identified as Resistance Starfighter Corps)
- Star Wars: Look and Find
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi: The Visual Dictionary
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi: Incredible Cross-Sections
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi: Ultimate Sticker Collection
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi Activity Book with Stickers
- Star Wars Complete Visual Dictionary, Updated Edition
- (First identified as Starfighter Corps)
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 2.00 2.01 2.02 2.03 2.04 2.05 2.06 2.07 2.08 2.09 2.10 2.11 2.12 2.13 2.14 2.15 2.16 2.17 2.18 2.19 2.20 Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 Poe Dameron 1: Black Squadron, Part I
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 5.3 Star Wars: The Last Jedi: The Visual Dictionary
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 6.3 6.4 6.5 6.6 6.7 Before the Awakening
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 7.2 7.3 7.4 7.5 7.6 Star Wars: Episode VIII The Last Jedi
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 8.2 8.3 The Last Jedi: Cobalt Squadron
- ↑ "SaBBotage"—Poe Dameron 1: Black Squadron, Part I
- ↑ The Weapon of a Jedi: A Luke Skywalker Adventure
- ↑ Star Wars: Look and Find
- ↑ Star Wars: The Last Jedi: A Junior Novel
- ↑ Poe Dameron 17: War Stories, Part I
- ↑ The Last Jedi: Bomber Command
- ↑ The novel Bloodline reveals that Leia Organa formed the Resistance in 28 ABY. Therefore the Resistance Starfighter Corps must have either been formed in or after the year 28 ABY.
- ↑ 16.0 16.1 16.2 16.3 16.4 16.5 16.6 16.7 16.8 Star Wars: The Force Awakens: The Visual Dictionary