Restraining bolts were small, cylindrical devices that could be affixed to a droid in order to limit its functions and enforce its obedience. When inserted, a restraining bolt restricted the droid from any movement its master did not desire, and also forced it to respond to signals produced by a hand-held control unit. Some droids felt sheer horror at the mere mention of restraining bolts. Restraining bolts were also used in the construction of Jawa ion blasters; they, along with accu-accelerators from a starship's ion engine, were fitted to the blaster's firing mechanism.
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Downfall of a Droid"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Evil Plans"
- Catalyst: A Rogue One Novel
- Adventures in Wild Space: The Dark
- Lost Stars
- Star Wars Rebels – "Droids in Distress" (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars Rebels – "The Forgotten Droid"
- Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope (First appearance)
- Star Wars: A New Hope (paperback novel)
- Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi
- Return of the Jedi: Beware the Power of the Dark Side!
- Star Wars: Uprising (Mentioned only)
- Aftermath: Empire's End
- Bloodline (Mentioned only)
- Join the Resistance