Restraining bolts were small, cylindrical devices that could be affixed to a droid in order to limit its functions and enforce its obedience. When inserted, a restraining bolt restricted the droid from any movement its master did not desire, and also forced it to respond to signals produced by a hand-held control unit. Some droids felt sheer horror at the mere mention of restraining bolts.
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Downfall of a Droid"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Evil Plans"
- Star Wars: Story Before The Force Awakens
- Star Wars Rebels – "Droids in Distress" (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope (First appearance)
- Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi
- Star Wars Rebels: Sabine My Rebel Sketchbook (Mentioned only)