- "These gifts are but insufficient tokens of the love for you all that still burns within me. This fighter is another. It bears the colors of the Alderaanian Guard and transmits their code. It is my pledge to you—not of vengeance but of vigilance. I hope you rest well knowing you will rest alone, because it is my life's work to see to it that no one else suffers as you have. I won't rest until this quest is complete. Rest easy. I miss you all."
- ―Tycho Celchu making his Return
The Return was a ritual undertaken by Alderaanians to pay their respects to loved ones who had been killed in the destruction of Alderaan. They returned to the Graveyard, launching gifts for the departed into the Graveyard and giving a speech. The Return developed into a major cultural touchstone for Alderaanian survivors, with many describing it as a transcendent, life-changing moment. The procedure became fairly codified as more people undertook it, resulting in the speech and ritual feeling somewhat impersonal to some Returnees. An industry developed around it catering to Alderaanians, and thieves frequently retrieved the gifts from the Graveyard.
- Star Wars 8
- Star Wars Galaxies
- Star Wars: Empire at War: Forces of Corruption (Mentioned only) (as The Returning)
- X-Wing: The Bacta War (First appearance)
- I, Jedi (Indirect mention only)
- Star Wars Encyclopedia
- Galactic Phrase Book & Travel Guide
- Coruscant and the Core Worlds
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia
- The Essential Atlas