- "Keep your heads down or that E-Web will take them off!"
- ―Reyé Hollis, during the Battle of Hoth
Reyé Hollis was a Human male sergeant of the Alliance Special Forces during the Galactic Civil War. A native of the planet Naboo and the son of a Clone Wars veteran, Hollis fought with the Rebel Alliance during the Battle of Hoth in 3 ABY, where he distinguished himself by rescuing and covering the evacuation of many of his fellow Rebel soldiers before being wounded. For his acts of selfless valor, Hollis was awarded the Kenobi Medallion and a promotion.
- "We have spotted Imperial walkers!"
- ―Reyé Hollis
Reyé Hollis was born and raised on the Mid Rim planet of Naboo, the son of Lutin Hollis, who served with the Royal Naboo Security Forces before and during the Clone Wars. Following in his father's footsteps, Hollis fought with the Alliance to Restore the Republic during the subsequent Galactic Civil War, eventually being assigned to the Alliance High Command headquarters of Echo Base on the ice planet Hoth by 3 ABY. At some point during his career with the Rebel Alliance, Hollis earned the Kalidor Crescent, a prestigious award.
While on Hoth, Hollis served with Echo Base's complement of Special Forces troops under the command of Colonel Ledick Firest, as one of Firest's top sergeants. When the Galactic Empire discovered the existence of Echo Base in 3 ABY, Hollis helped prepare the base's perimeter defenses in the face of the imminent Imperial invasion.
Hollis fought in the Rebels' icy trenches during the Battle of Hoth, warning his men to stay low to avoid being shot down by the Imperials' E-Web heavy repeating blasters. He distinguished himself during the battle by rescuing a cut-off squad of Rebel soldiers, pulling two of his medical personnel out of the way of an advancing All Terrain Scout Transport, and finally being wounded while manning a DF.9 anti-infantry battery to cover the retreat of his company.
Hollis was the only sergeant in Firest's five companies to survive the staggering Rebel defeat at the Battle of Hoth. He received the Kenobi Medallion, a bronze device for his previously earned Kalidor Crescent, and a promotion for his acts of heroism during the battle.
Personality and traitsEdit
Hollis' Kenobi Medallion, earned during the Battle of Hoth, demonstrated his acts of selfless valor in helping to rescue several Echo Base soldiers, including his fleeing company, at the expense of his own safety. A Human male, Hollis had light skin.
Hollis wore the Rebel Echo Base field troops' standard cold-weather armor during the Battle of Hoth, including headgear, anti-glare goggles, scarf, padded vest, thermal flak jacket, gloves, and backpack. He also carried binoculars.
Behind the scenesEdit
The character of Reyé Hollis first appeared in the 1980 film Star Wars: Episode V The Empire Strikes Back as an unnamed extra in a brief scene during the opening stages of the Battle of Hoth. He was first provided a last name, "Hollis," on the "Sergeant Hollis" card as part of the November 1998 Special Edition Limited expansion set of the Star Wars Customizable Card Game. The February 2004 article Who's Who in Echo Base, appearing in Star Wars Insider 74, first identified the character's full name, "Reyé Hollis," and expanded upon his acts of valor during the Battle of Hoth that earned him the Kenobi Medallion, information first established by the Star Wars Customizable Card Game. The October 2004 The New Essential Guide to Weapons and Technology opted to use Hollis in the associated quote for the book's "E-Web repeating blaster" entry.
Hollis' first name, in accordance with his Naboo origins, has the same -é suffix as other Naboo Star Wars characters, such as Padmé Amidala, Sabé, and Ric Olié. The Who's Who in Echo Base article also identified Hollis as being the son of Lutin Hollis, a character who first appeared in the 2000 Nintendo 64 game Star Wars: Episode I: Battle for Naboo.
Character confusion and inconsistenciesEdit
The November 2003 The Empire Strikes Back expansion set of the Star Wars Trading Card Game includes a "Sergeant Hollis" quote on the set's "Rebel Hoth Army" card. The quote, "We have spotted Imperial walkers!", is identical to the line spoken by the character Trey Callum in the film, and, as such, Hollis should not be confused with Callum.
In addition, The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia, released in 2008, uses the same production photo of a Hoth Rebel soldier from The Empire Strikes Back to illustrate both Hollis and Callum under each character's respective encyclopedic entry. Given that the actor pictured in the production photo does not definitively visually correspond to either character in the film, this article avoids making a judgment as to which character the production photo's actor is intended to be.
Who's Who in Echo Base identifies Hollis, as well as Echo Base controller Toryn Farr, as being recipients of the Kalidor Crescent, a medal that first appeared in the 1993 PC game Star Wars: X-Wing. However, the medal is intended to be an award for pilots who perform beyond the call of duty in combat, which seems outside the scope of Hollis' and Farr's canonically-established service.
- Star Wars: Episode V The Empire Strikes Back (First appearance)
- Star Wars Customizable Card Game – Special Edition Limited (Card: Sergeant Hollis) (First identified as Hollis)
- Star Wars Trading Card Game – The Empire Strikes Back (Card: Rebel Hoth Army)
- "Who's Who in Echo Base"—Star Wars Insider 74 (First identified as Reyé)
- The New Essential Guide to Weapons and Technology
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.00 1.01 1.02 1.03 1.04 1.05 1.06 1.07 1.08 1.09 1.10 1.11 1.12 1.13 1.14 1.15 "Who's Who in Echo Base"—Star Wars Insider 74
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 Star Wars: Episode V The Empire Strikes Back
- ↑ The Essential Atlas
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 The New Essential Guide to Weapons and Technology
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Star Wars Customizable Card Game – Special Edition Limited (Card: Sergeant Hollis)
- ↑ Star Wars: The Complete Visual Dictionary
- ↑ Star Wars: Episode I: Battle for Naboo
- ↑ Star Wars Trading Card Game – The Empire Strikes Back (Card: Rebel Hoth Army)
- ↑ The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia, Vol. I, p. 105 ("Callum, Trey") – Accompanying character photo
- ↑ The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia, Vol. II, p. 50 ("Hollis, Sergeant Reyé") – Accompanying character photo
- ↑ Star Wars: X-Wing