|Points of interest|
Rhen Var was a planet situated near the Tion Cluster in the Outer Rim Territories and one of the former Thanium Worlds. It was the first planet in the Tobali system. Throughout the history of the Galactic Republic, Rhen Var was covered in ice, rendering it almost uninhabitable. Remains of an ancient civilization and old Jedi artifacts were found beneath the ice on the planet, remnants of a former population.
Rhen Var was once a fertile paradise filled with vegetation and wild life. Thousands of years before the Clone Wars, an atmospheric cataclysm turned it into an icy hibernal surface. Since then, it had been a frigid world of frozen tundra and snowswept mountains.
After the Great Sith War in 3,986 BBY, former Jedi Ulic Qel-Droma sought refuge on Rhen Var, and there trained Vima Sunrider. He ultimately found peace in the snowy wastes, and was redeemed and then was later murdered by Hoggon. During his stay he found a cave where the rare Solari crystal grew, of which was located near where he taught Sunrider.
Prior to the Clone Wars, the Republic set up a small supply base and listening post on Rhen Var. At the start of the Clone Wars in 22 BBY, the Confederacy of Independent Systems seized Rhen Var with an army so large that the Republic base had to evacuate the planet. Obi-Wan Kenobi informed the Jedi High Council about the seizure of the planet. The Separatists' motives in taking the world were unclear until Kenobi and Anakin Skywalker discovered Count Dooku uncovering the Force Harvester on Raxus Prime. The answers to its power would be located in the tomb of Ulic Qel-Droma on Rhen Var. After the liberation of Alaris Prime, the Republic retook Rhen Var in the Second Battle of Rhen Var. During the battle, Anakin learned from Qel-Droma's Force ghost how to defeat the Force Harvester which would power the Dark Reaper located on the ancient Sith world of Thule.
Later, around the time of the Battle of Yavin, Rebel Alliance troops attacked and secured an Imperial listening post. The Galactic Empire soon struck back and eliminated the Rebels. They soon abandoned the listening post and the last presence of civilized life was removed from Rhen Var.[source?]
Behind the scenesEdit
When Ralph McQuarrie created conceptual art for the Ice Planet which became Hoth, he included illustrations of ruins emerging from the snow. While this did not become a part of the film, the concepts of the ruins of a lost civilization choked in snow and ice may have influenced the development of Rhen Var. Images reflecting this were reprinted in The Illustrated Star Wars Universe.
- Tales of the Jedi: Redemption (First appearance)
- Star Wars: The Old Republic 7: The Lost Suns, Part 1 (Appears in flashback(s))
- Star Wars: The Old Republic 8: The Lost Suns, Part 2 (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: Battlefront
- Star Wars: Battlefront II (Xbox Live patch)
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars video game
- The Official Star Wars Fact File 118 (RHE1-2, Rhen Var)
- Battlefront: Prima Official Game Guide
- The Essential Chronology
- The New Essential Chronology
- "Guide to the Grand Army of the Republic"—Star Wars Insider 84
- Starships of the Galaxy, Saga Edition
- Knights of the Old Republic Campaign Guide
- The Essential Atlas
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Star Wars: The Essential Atlas Online Companion
- ↑ 2.00 2.01 2.02 2.03 2.04 2.05 2.06 2.07 2.08 2.09 2.10 2.11 2.12 2.13 2.14 2.15 2.16 2.17 The Essential Atlas
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 Battlefront: Prima Official Game Guide
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 4.4 4.5 4.6 Star Wars: The Clone Wars (video game)
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 5.3 5.4 5.5 5.6 Star Wars: Battlefront
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 Star Wars: The Old Republic 7: The Lost Suns, Part 1
- ↑ Tales of the Jedi: Redemption