- "I found it years ago. When I was no older than you are now. I found it in the River of Light on my home planet."
- ―Qui-Gon Jinn, handing Obi-Wan Kenobi a stone from the River of Light
The River of Light was located on the home planet of Jedi Master Qui-Gon Jinn. Stones sensitive to the Force were found in it, one of which Jinn kept as a memento for over thirty years before passing it to his Padawan Obi-Wan Kenobi, who in turn gave it to his apprentice Anakin Skywalker. Knowledge of the River of Light's Force-sensitive stones survived well into the era of the New Jedi Order.
Located on the homeworld of Jedi Master Qui-Gon Jinn, the River of Light was where a thirteen-year-old Jinn obtained a Force-sensitive stone that he kept as a memento for over three decades. In 44 BBY, he gave the stone to his Padawan Obi-Wan Kenobi as a gift for his thirteenth birthday. Kenobi in turn gave the same stone to his apprentice Anakin Skywalker when he turned thirteen in 28 BBY. Knowledge of the Force-sensitive river stones' existence survived into the days of the New Jedi Order; following the end of the Yuuzhan Vong War in 29 ABY, Jedi Knight Tam Azur-Jamin mentioned them in Droids, Technology and the Force: A Clash of Phenomena, an essay discussing the emergence of the Force in inanimate objects and technological devices.
Behind the scenesEdit
Created by author Jude Watson, the River of Light was first mentioned in The Hidden Past (1999), the third installment in the Jedi Apprentice series of young reader novels. The river has subsequently been referenced in Qui-Gon Jinn's biography in The New Essential Guide to Characters (2002) and given an entry in The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia (2008).
Droids, Technology and the Force: A Clash of Phenomena, a 2005 Hyperspace-exclusive article by Abel G. Peña, mentions the Force being found in "lifeless rocks like river stones." In the article endnotes published at his StarWars.com blog, Peña specified that this was meant as a reference to the stones found on Qui-Gon Jinn's homeworld, thus making the article's reference to "river" an indirect mention of the River of Light.
- Jedi Apprentice: The Hidden Past (First mentioned)
- Jedi Apprentice: The Uncertain Path (Indirect mention only)
- Jedi Quest: The Way of the Apprentice (Indirect mention only)
- Jedi Quest: The School of Fear (Indirect mention only)
- The New Essential Guide to Characters (Qui-Gon Jinn entry)
- (Indirect mention only)
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia, Vol. III ("River of Light")
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 Jedi Apprentice: The Hidden Past
- ↑ According to The Essential Reader's Companion, p. 32, the events of Jedi Apprentice: The Hidden Past take place in 44 BBY.
- ↑ Jedi Quest: The Way of the Apprentice
- ↑ According to Leland Chee ( ), Anakin Skywalker was born in 41.9 BBY; therefore his thirteenth birthday can be placed at 28.9 BBY.
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2
- ↑ The New Essential Chronology, p. 225 (The Recapture of Coruscant (29 A.B.Y.))
- ↑ The New Essential Guide to Characters (Qui-Gon Jinn entry)
- ↑ The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia, Vol. III, p. 102 ("River of Light")