Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
- "Stay out of this, Tenel Ka. You can't possibly know anything about it. You have the emotional depth of a ronto."
- ―Jaina Solo
Ronto were large, quadruped mammals that were commonly used as beasts of burden by the Jawas of Tatooine. They were known for their loyalty and strength, being able to carry hundreds of kilograms of weight. They were large enough to frighten off Tusken Raiders, though they were easily spooked by machines, such as speeder bikes. They were commonly used on Nubia and Benja-Rihn.
- "You're growing faster than a ronto!"
- ―Dama Whitesun Bruns, to young Luke Skywalker
Like the native dewbacks of Tatooine, ronto were easy to train and became quite fond of their masters,[source?] whose faces they associated with food. Rontos had superb senses of hearing and smell, although they had poor vision, which is why they were startled by sudden movements. Rontos needed large amounts of water, although their skins shed excess heat, allowing them to function well in desert conditions. They were rarely exported, though, because offworlders thought their skittishness made them unreliable in urban areas. Another reason the ronto was popular with the Jawas is that Jawas did not usually visit urban areas, so it was ideal for desert travel.
When in heat, female rontos gave off a powerful, musky scent much like the smell of a Rodian. During mating season, Rodians on Tatooine were encouraged to stay away from male rontos, as they may inadvertently become the target of a ronto's affections.
Rontos could hear sounds in the range of 32 kz.
A subspecies of the rontos appeared to exist on the planet Kashyyyk. Unlike their Tatooine cousins, they had a darker coloration, a more elongated cranium, and their ears were much smaller. Also unlike their cousins, they appeared to be less easily spooked and were in fact quite aggressive if they should come under attack. While typically encountered in small groups, how they came to the planet is as of yet unknown.
- The Secrets of Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire (Picture only)
- Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire Limited Collector's Edition
- Star Wars Customizable Card Game – Special Edition Limited (Card: Ronto)
- Star Wars: Behind the Magic
- The Essential Guide to Alien Species
- Star Wars: The Power of the Force (1995)
- Star Wars: The Action Figure Archive
- The New Essential Guide to Alien Species
- The Wildlife of Star Wars: A Field Guide
- Star Wars: Episode I Insider's Guide
- Star Wars Miniatures: Alliance and Empire Expansion
- Secrets of Mos Eisley"—Star Wars Gamer 7 "
- Coruscant and the Core Worlds
- The Official Star Wars Fact File 3 (TAT4, Tatooine)
- Star Wars Galaxies: The Total Experience: Prima Official Game Guide
- Threats of the Galaxy
- Star Wars: The Official Starships & Vehicles Collection 10
- Star Wars: Head-to-Head Tag Teams
- Darth Vader: A 3-D Reconstruction Log
- Star Wars: The Old Republic Encyclopedia
- Star Wars: Edge of the Empire Core Rulebook
- Suns of Fortune
- Stay on Target