True runyips were known for the stubbornness, but were still commonly used a pack animals on frontier worlds. They possessed long ears and a long, bifurcated trunk to grab vegetation. Runyips were capable of carrying heavy loads (up to 250 kilograms in normal circumstances, and up to 500 in emergencies) and of traversing uneven terrain, with a top speed of 27 kilometers per hour. Rebel SpecForce troopers were also known to use them to carry equipment.
Yavinian runyips had claws on their toes which they used to dig for food and lived in holes. They had brown and green fur, white spotty tails, long ears and semi-prehensile noses. They fed on decomposing forest mulch and in shallows of streams, rivers, and lakes. They did this by using their flexible lips and three clawed feet for sifting through dirt. They emitted loud grunts, squawks, squeals, and sighs as they fed.
- Galaxy of Fear: Ghost of the Jedi
- I, Jedi
- Dark Apprentice (First appearance)
- Junior Jedi Knights: The Golden Globe
- The New Jedi Order: Edge of Victory I: Conquest
- Galaxy Guide 2: Yavin and Bespin (First mentioned)
- Star Wars Miniatures Battles (As "Yavinian Runyip")
- Galaxy Guide 2: Yavin and Bespin, Second Edition
- The Wildlife of Star Wars: A Field Guide
- Rules of Engagement: The Rebel SpecForce Handbook
- The Official Star Wars Fact File 15 (YAV2, Yavin 4)
- The Official Star Wars Fact File 105 (YAV8, Yavin 4 Animals)
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia