Ryll was a relatively weak form of spice used to create a number of medicines used throughout the galaxy. It could be combined with glitterstim to create glitteryll. Ryll kor was another type of ryll, used primarily for medical purposes.
Ryll was discovered around 4800 BBY and mined on the planet Ryloth, although it was presumably found on other planets such as Naos III. It was also smuggled into the Corporate Sector for illegal sale to the workers. As with many substances used for illegal recreation, ryll had the potential to be very addictive and dangerous. In addition to the mining operations on Ryloth, just before the Battle of Yavin the Hutts used slaves from a false religion to produce the spice on the planet Ylesia until the Rebel Alliance involved themselves with the operations and ultimately forced the shut down of the planet's spice ring.
Both the Republic and the Empire placed restrictions on its use, licensing it only to pharmaceutical companies for the production of painkillers and anesthetics.
- Galaxy Guide 2: Yavin and Bespin
- Galaxy Guide 5: Return of the Jedi
- Galaxy Guide 6: Tramp Freighters
- Galaxy Guide 2: Yavin and Bespin, Second Edition
- Heroes & Rogues
- The Essential Guide to Characters
- The Illustrated Star Wars Universe
- The Jedi Academy Sourcebook
- Shadows of the Empire Sourcebook
- Shadows of the Empire Planets Guide
- Pirates & Privateers
- Coruscant and the Core Worlds
- Geonosis and the Outer Rim Worlds
- Star Wars Roleplaying Game Saga Edition Core Rulebook
- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia
- Rebellion Era Campaign Guide
- The Essential Atlas
- Star Wars: Edge of the Empire Core Rulebook