|Height of average adult|
Huge tails, beak-like noses
The Ryn were an uncommon humanoid species, with prehensile tails, beak-like noses, long fingers, and white hair. They were known for their musicality and diligent cleanliness.
- "We're a superstitious folk..."
They were a nomadic species native to the Core Worlds. They were spread over the galaxy, their original homeworld forgotten, even to them. They had two theories about their origins: the first being that they were descended from thousands of musicians hired out to a world swept clean of artists, the second that they were the descendants of mercenaries deployed against an Inner Rim threat. The second gained credence due to the fact that the Ryn language contained many military words and phrases, most notably the fact that the words for non-Ryn and civilian were related.
Due to their homelessness, musical talent, natural secrecy, and avoidance of written records, Ryn developed a nomadic culture and a reputation for confidence games, leaving many species prejudiced against them. In some sectors it was legal to enslave or hunt Ryn. Their language was outlawed in many locations, and a large number of Ryn women were used as slave breeding stock.
The largest concentration of Ryn was located in the Corporate Sector due to the fact that it was far from those who would persecute them. Also, a Ryn healer saved the life of a CSA Executive officer. The Ryn claimed to have invented sabacc, originally as a means of divination. They were a very musical people, being able to play their beaks like flutes. They could even call droids with them, by being able to play pitches very precisely.
During the Yuuzhan Vong War, a number of Ryn refugees were based on Duro, and later attempted to settle in Senex-Juvex following that world's fall. The Ryn ran an information network that was second to none.
Behind the scenesEdit
The Ryn's status as a stateless people possibly descended from mercenaries with a talent for music and divination, and the hatred of many other species, makes them clearly based on the Gypsies. One Ryn is even named Romany, the term used by the Gypsies to describe themselves.
- Star Wars: Darth Plagueis
- The Clone Wars: No Prisoners
- Republic Commando: True Colors (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: Purge: The Tyrant's Fist
- (Form assumed by Clawdite)
- Rebel Force: Hostage
- Rebel Force: Renegade
- Agents of Chaos I: Hero's Trial (First appearance)
- Agents of Chaos II: Jedi Eclipse
- Balance Point
- Star by Star (Mentioned only)
- Force Heretic I: Remnant
- Force Heretic II: Refugee
- Force Heretic III: Reunion
- The Final Prophecy
- The Unifying Force
- Sacrifice (Mentioned only)
- Revelation (Mentioned only)
- Millennium Falcon
- Allies (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars: Legacy 23: Loyalties, Part 1
- (Mentioned only)
- The New Jedi Order Sourcebook
- The Essential Guide to Alien Species
- The New Essential Guide to Alien Species
- The New Essential Guide to Characters
- The New Essential Chronology
- Ultimate Alien Anthology
- Scum and Villainy
- (Picture only)