- "Hey! Some moof milker put a compressor on the ignition line."
"Unkar Plutt did. I thought it was a mistake, too, puts too much stress on the hyperdrive."
- ―Han Solo and Rey discuss the compressor's effect on the SSP05
The SSP05 hyperdrive was a model of Class 1 hyperdrive manufactured by Isu-Sim and used in starships to allow hyperspace travel. The modified YT-1300 light freighter known as the Millennium Falcon was equipped with a customized SSP05 that had been jury-rigged "Vandangante style" to Class 0.5. It was installed by Lando Calrissian to replace the original Avatar-10 hyperdrive. Under his ownership of the Falcon, the junk dealer Unkar Plutt failed to maintain the drive while he kept the vessel on the planet Jakku. This poor maintenance of the SPP05 lead to an energy flux in the motivator, which bled back into Quadex power core and caused a surge. This triggered a faulty signal to be sent to the fuel distributor which meant liquid metal fuel flooded the distributor's propulsion tank into the ship's auxiliary systems, overheating various components and causing a rupture that would allow the fuel to fill the ship as a poisonous gas. When the Falcon was stolen by the scavenger Rey, the former-stormtrooper Finn and the astromech droid BB-8 around thirty years after the Battle of Endor, Rey managed to fix the issue, before the vessel was captured by two of its former owners, the smugglers Han Solo and Chewbacca. The SSP05 was twice the size of a YT-1300's stock engine
Behind the scenesEdit
The SSP05 hyperdrive was first pictured and identified in Star Wars: The Force Awakens: Incredible Cross-Sections, a reference book released in 2015 in conjunction with the film Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens, in which the hyperdrive was indirectly mentioned. The reference book was written by Jason Fry and illustrated by Kemp Remillard.
- Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens (First mentioned; albeit indirectly)
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens: Incredible Cross-Sections (First pictured) (First identified as SSP05 hyperdrive)
- Star Wars: Millennium Falcon Deluxe Book and Model Set
- YT-1300 Corellian Freighter Owner's Workshop Manual
- Star Wars: Millennium Falcon: A 3-D Owner's Guide (2018)