The Single Trooper Aerial Platform, or simply STAP, was a repulsorcraft used by the Trade Federation and later the Confederacy of Independent Systems. It was piloted by a single B1 battle droid as a reconnaissance and patrol vehicle.
The STAP was a Baktoid Armor Workshop product designed by Trade Federation engineers, who were inspired by civilian airhooks. These similar craft were re-engineered for greater performance and reliability, and were purpose-built to be piloted by a B1 battle droid, as their humanoid frames were more suited to control the vehicles. Slim and lightweight, the tiny repulsorlift craft was fueled by high-voltage energy cells, which powered drive turbines providing the STAP with impressive speed and maneuverability. The agile vessels were typically bolstered by signals from an orbital Droid Control Ship, which skillfully guided the STAP's pilots. However, battle droids were exposed to enemy fire while riding the fragile craft. The vehicles were armed with a pair of forward-mounted blaster cannons.
Designed as a reliable reconnaissance and patrol vehicle, the STAP was typically deployed by the Trade Federation Droid Army at landing zones where their pilots could survey the area and transmit data back to a Droid Control Ship. STAPS were often deployed as support vehicles alongside other, larger craft which bore the brunt of combat, and only occasionally forayed into battle in order to harry enemy forces. STAPS were also utilized for "mopping up" missions once a battle was finished.
The Trade Federation deployed STAPs alongside its invasion forces during the blockade of Naboo. Numerous STAPs patrolled the swamps surrounding the landing zone, and accompanied Multi-Troop Transports into the city of Theed, where Viceroy Nute Gunray declared victory and occupation. The Jedi Qui-Gon Jinn and Obi-Wan Kenobi were harried by STAPs in the swamps, but Jinn destroyed the vehicles by deflecting their pilots' blaster bolts back into the craft with his lightsaber. STAPs surveyed the Great Grass Plains and transmitted data back to the orbital Droid Control Ship.
STAPs were later used by the Confederacy of Independent Systems during the Clone Wars. General Grievous, Supreme Commander of the Droid Army, utilized a combat speeder that was bulkier than the standard STAP.
- Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace (First appearance)
- Jedi of the Republic—Mace Windu, Part I
- Jedi of the Republic—Mace Windu, Part II
- Jedi of the Republic—Mace Windu, Part III
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Hidden Enemy"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars film
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Blue Shadow Virus"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Liberty on Ryloth"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Counterattack"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Citadel Rescue"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "A Necessary Bond"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "A Death on Utapau"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Crystal Crisis"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Big Bang"