- "Oh, safety."
- ―Rey realizes the safety of her blaster is still on while trying to fire it
A safety was a device present on some weapons that prevented them from being fired accidentally. The NN-14 blaster pistol given to Rey by Han Solo was one such weapon equipped with a safety. When she attempted to use it against Unkar Plutt and his thugs, she found it did not work because she had not disengaged the safety, a feature she was unaware of. She later disengaged it before using the weapon against First Order stormtroopers.
Behind the scenesEdit
In the film Star Wars: The Force Awakens, Rey is shown disengaging her weapon's safety before firing at stormtroopers. The film's novelization provides a bit of background by showing Rey attempting to use the weapon against Unkar Plutt, but being foiled by the safety being engaged. This sequence is also present in one of the film's deleted scenes.
- Servants of the Empire: The Secret Academy (First appearance)
- Moving Target: A Princess Leia Adventure
- Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens novel
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens: A Junior Novel