The armor was also reduced in favor of increased maneuverability, and was painted a camouflaging reddish-orange.
It was modified specifically to undergo operations in hot, dry conditions. The drive section was left exposed for easier maintenance, although the airspeeder itself was enclosed. It also had a maximum speed of 600 kilometers per hour. They had been developed shortly after the Alliance had modified the T-47 airspeeder to operate on Hoth, leaving the modifications of the same airspeeder for arid environments relatively simple.[source?]
Behind the scenesEdit
The Sandspeeder was planned to be implemented into Kenner's The Epic Continues storyline, but the line had been cancelled. It was included in a binder containing several images of planned toys within The Epic Continues, some of which later appeared in the article Tales of Phantom Toys in Star Wars Galaxy Magazine. It eventually appeared in canon with the Special Saga Edition of the Customizable Card Game, as one of the light-side cards.
- Onslaught at Arda I (First appearance)
- The Epic Continues (Canceled)
- "Galactic Bazaar"—Star Wars Galaxy Magazine 2 (First mentioned)
- Star Wars Customizable Card Game – Special Edition Limited (Card: Sandspeeder)
- Star Wars Expanded Universe (Set: 75204 Sandspeeder)