- "My speeder is not going anywhere without a stabilizer."
- ―Lieutenant Valeria
The sandspeeder was a modified type of T-47 light airspeeder manufactured by Incom Corporation, and used by the armed forces of the New Republic for combat in desert environments. Operated by a pilot and a gunner, the New Republic's Lieutenant Valeria led a squadron of sandspeeders against the Galactic Empire during the Battle of Jakku.
A variant of the snowspeeder used by the Rebel Alliance, the sandspeeder was a modified type of T-47 light airspeeder manufactured by Incom Corporation. Sand-colored for camouflage, the airspeeder was armed with two forward-facing laser cannons capable of discharging red-colored laser bolts.
Operated by two, the speeder's cockpit featured positions for a forward-facing pilot and a rear-facing gunner. The sandspeeder was additionally equipped with a stabilizer, a cooling vent, an energizer, and a power coupling.
- "Come on, rebels! Let's make sure this really is the Empire's last stand."
- ―Lieutenant Valeria, to her squadron of sandspeeders
The sandspeeders were notably used by the New Republic forces at the Battle of Jakku, the final large-scale battle of the Galactic Civil War that resulted in a decisive Republic victory against the Galactic Empire in the year 5 ABY. During the battle, the New Republic lieutenant Valeria commanded a squadron of sandspeeders against Imperial forces, and she was forced to crash land in front of an AT-AT after debris from a TIE fighter she destroyed hit her speeder's stabilizer. As the walker's foot was about to stomp Valeria and her vehicle, the Freemakers, a family of scavengers sided with the Republic, came to her aid and destroyed the walker. The trio then quickly repaired the lieutenant's sandspeeder, and she soon returned to the battle, blasting more TIE fighters. The event was later included in From Trenches to Wrenches: The Roger Story, a memoir written by the Freemakers' B1 battle droid, R0-GR.
Behind the scenesEdit
After the 2014 reboot of the Star Wars canon, the sandspeeder was first seen as a LEGO toy set released along with the merchandising for the film Star Wars: Episode VIII The Last Jedi in 2018. The set's package cover depicts a sandspeeder firing on a moisture vaporator on Jakku. The minifigure for the sandspeeder gunner included in the set features a flight helmet that matches the rebel pilot Dosmit Ræh's helmet. The speeder later appeared in "The Power at Jakku," the eighth short of the non-canonical LEGO Star Wars: All-Stars animated series that debuted on November 10, 2018. The eight shorts, including "The Power at Jakku," were also collected in the LEGO Star Wars: All-Stars episode "From Trenches to Wrenches: The Roger Story."
The sandspeeder was originally created for Kenner's Star Wars-themed The Epic Continues toy line planned for a 1986 release. Although the line was ultimately canceled by Lucasfilm, the vehicle later appeared in various Star Wars Legends media.
- LEGO Star Wars: All-Stars – "The Power at Jakku" (First appearance, simultaneous with "From Trenches to Wrenches: The Roger Story") (Appears in flashback(s))
- LEGO Star Wars: All-Stars – "From Trenches to Wrenches: The Roger Story" (First appearance, simultaneous with "The Power at Jakku") (Appears in flashback(s))
Notes and referencesEdit
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 LEGO Star Wars (Set: 75204 Sandspeeder) establishes that the sandspeeder was a variant of the snowspeeder, which was a modified T-47 light airspeeder manufactured by Incom Corporation, according to Star Wars: On the Front Lines.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 2.5 2.6 2.7 LEGO Star Wars: All-Stars – "The Power at Jakku"
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 3.5 3.6 LEGO Star Wars (Set: 75204 Sandspeeder)
- ↑ Star Wars: Episode V The Empire Strikes Back
- ↑ Aftermath: Empire's End
- ↑ Star Wars: Galactic Atlas
- ↑ Star Wars: The Force Awakens: The Visual Dictionary
- ↑ . "Published on Nov 10, 2018"
- ↑ LEGO Star Wars: All-Stars – "From Trenches to Wrenches: The Roger Story"
- ↑ "Tales of Phantom Toys"—Star Wars Galaxy Magazine 2
- ↑ Star Wars Customizable Card Game – Special Edition Limited (Card: Sandspeeder)